Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was teaching one of my adult student's at her band's practice space tonight before their rehearsal. At the end of the rehearsal, one of my student's bandmates asked me to take a look at an alto he picked up a few weeks ago. As luck would have it, the sax was a YAS-23. It is a later series with the plastic adjustable thumb rest, and a good set of pads. In fact, all of the pads looked pretty untouched. They sealed well too. Low Bb played at pp, and every note spoke with the clarity I've come to expect from these horns. The worst issues involved a neck cork that was getting a bit chewed up, and some loose rod and point screws that needed tightened. That was it. Oh, I didn't have my mouthpiece on me, as this was a tenor lesson, but the horn came with a Selmer Paris S80. I had my alto reeds on me, and they worked with the piece, and its generic fabric ligature wonderfully. In fact, I don't recall ever liking the ol' square chamber as much as I liked it today. The case came in a Protech flight case. The horn, sans screws and neck cork, was in great condition. It could easily pull in $500 as was, before I spent a few minutes tweaking it. The mouthpiece would be worth about $60 to $80 on its own, and the case would be the better part of $150. All in all, not bad for $50.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it seems that one can get quite a lot for $50 these days.
If you're lucky :)
This was the luckiest find I can recollect. Anything comparable usually involves a vintage or student horn that needs to be overhauled. I've never seen such a playable saxophone sold for around the price of a a couple boxes of reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
Are you saying your friend bought this for $50?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
That's as good a haul as I've ever found on these, and I look quite often. Nearest was a $150 deal I missed out on.

The horn, sans screws and neck cork, was in great condition. It could easily pull in $500 as was, before I spent a few minutes tweaking it. The mouthpiece would be worth about $60 to $80 on its own, and the case would be the better part of $150. All in all, not bad for $50.
In my market [minneapolis], the whole package would maybe get $500. I see these hang out in the ads for months at that price or less and I don't know that people looking to buy that class of instrument would put a premium on an upgraded case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts