Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo!
I've started playng sax 2 years ago, 1 year only soprano with fantastic mpc yanagisawa metal #7 and I've no problems with it. After I brought a tenor (i love the archie shepp, albert ayler, saint john coltrane sound...) than I started searching the right mpc:
-yamaha mpc rubber 4c: is fantastic but not enough power and edge
-used dukoff D#7: very edgy but too much difficult to control for me in this moment - selled on ebay
-used selmer metal #F: not very intersting, is was a little bit darker, and I was searching for power and brightness - selled on ebay
finally I got a brand new:
-mpc yanagisawa metal #8: it is very powerfull and enought brigth and I'm playng it with henke #2 reeds, rico lavoz med/soft, and rico jazz select #2soft
I'm very happy for the sound I'm shaping but I'm experincing a little bit of fatigue studing with it, the questions are:

do you think I've gone too far with my set-up becouse i'm a starter?

i'm using too hard reeds, it would be simpler if I go ahead using half step smoother ones(#1, or 1,5#)?

do someone suggest to sell the yani #8 and replace it with a 5#?

If you like to hear me&my band we are on myspace: www.myspace.com/atomikclocks

thank you in advance

pumatheman (minister of the atomik clocks funk bass & nasty ten&sax saxes)

John is the FATHER
Pharaoh is THE SON
AND
Albert is THE HOLY GOST

yamaha YSS 475 + mpc yanagisawa metal #7
yamaha YTS 32 + mpc yanagisawa metal #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Get an Otto Link STM 6*, 7, or 7* and 2.5, 3, or 3.5 reeds, develop your embrochure and a proper and controlled airstream.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I would advise you to stay away from the 7's. Espicially as a Begginer you may have trouble adjusting to how wide it is. I would recomend a 6 or 6*. With a soft reed.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Carbs said:
I would advise you to stay away from the 7's. Espicially as a Begginer you may have trouble adjusting to how wide it is. I would recomend a 6 or 6*. With a soft reed.
very good advice-- 6 or 6* stm link 3 rico reeds
be patient
everyday play your overtone exercises (must use Dave Leibman's book and dvd on sound prodction) with double lip embouchure first then single lip (must have mpc cushion) and in 30 to 90 days you will like your sound:cool: ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
pumatheman said:
Yo!
)

John is the FATHER
Pharaoh is THE SON
AND
Albert is THE HOLY GOST
Maybe this is why you're having problems.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Try a Selmer Super Session. Seems to be the best of all types. I use an E but many here use up to a J.

My error as I thought it was soprano. For tenor get a Morgan or LinkHR.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Wow, "i love the archie shepp, albert ayler, saint john coltrane sound". My kind of man! :twisted:

I agree with some of the above posters about a Link, but I think a stock Link will not be loud enough for you to cut in the kind of band you're playing in. If I were going to use a Link, I would have it modified so that it was louder and had a bit of a baffle in it.

Another mpc that comes to mind would be a Berg. Maybe a #2 (I personally wouldn't get one with a larger baffle).

The fatigue you're getting I believe is because your mpc is just too open for you. Drop down to about a .100 or .105 facing.

(Now, this is going to sound self-serving - and my advice is not influenced by it - but if you are interested, I've got a Link I think would be perfect for you and the kind of playing you're doing. If you're interested, PM me.)

I dig your band, BTW. And your playing fits in really well with that concept.
BTW, your audio clips are among the few that are posted on SOTW that I listened to all the way through, and to every one of them. I must be sick. :D

(Siete italiano?)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for your help!

Being honest "my sop palys alone" with his yani metal #7. I'm quite sure this mpc is a magic one...

With this i'm specifyng that i'm not having problems (for the moment) but only some doubts on tenor.

Infact I' playng very confortable with some RICO JAZZ SELECT 2 soft, and a pair of HEMKE #2, maybe those are the softest of the packages...

I think I will try my tenor with my actual yani metal #8 but with some Vandoren Java 1,5# and/or LaVoz soft before replace it with some other more closed.

I'm sure that you all knows what's best for your mpc, but here you can find a little guide for choosing reeds between some few types:
http://www.saxforum.it/sito/Articoli/Durezza.htm

Mr Honeyboy, don't worry couse TheFatherTheSonAndTheHolyGost are my main inspiration (on every instrument) and I think that they can help, not only me, but all the sincere and modest improvisers.

pumatheman (minister of the atomik clocks funk bass & nasty ten&sax saxes)

John is the FATHER
Pharaoh is THE SON
AND
Albert is THE HOLY GOST

yamaha YSS 475 + mpc yanagisawa metal #7
yamaha YTS 32 + mpc yanagisawa metal #8

myspace: www.myspace.com/atomikclocks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
If you want bright and edgy, Berg (especially the metal ones) are the way to go. As Gary said, a 100/2 or 105/2 should be perfect.

And I can only agree : build your chops. I play a BergLarsen 115/2 to cut through a 9-piece ska band. I play Rico Jazz Select 3M now, coming from 2H. It's quite a difference in tone I have to admit. Every step up I did first with my practice reeds, and then on stage (practicing with 3S, stage with 2H and then up)

So maybe you just keep the Yana if you really like its tone, and get harder reeds to practice. Give it a year, and see where you're at. The tip opening is too big (for now), but if you would sell it now, only to buy it again in a year or two, my idea is you better keep it.

edit : just to make sure : Be aware that this way you have to be careful not to learn bad habits. Read through the section "Tone Producing" : tons of good advice that enhance your tone and overall playing perfectly well.

Some crazy funky shisnitz you guys play. Love it!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Another thought about the present mpc. My experience with reeds which are too soft is that it is hard to keep the intonation in the upper register true if the reed is too soft.

Also, and maddening for me, sometimes I'll be playing and a reed goes soft and I'm playing and intense solo and if I'm blowing hard the reed will just close the mpc off because it doesn't have enough strength to withstand the air and just seals the mpc closed. No fun when you're at a climactic moment in the music. :cool: So, while it might not be a bad idea to hold on to your mpc for the future, I would go with a mpc smaller than the one you're using and use stronger reeds for the reasons I just wrote.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Here are some suggestions, assuming you want a bright sound with some edge:

Mouthpieces:
$100 Springer Rollover Tenor 095
$250 Saxscape Uptown NF or Uptown Live 098

Reeds:
Alexander Superial or DC in a 2 1/2 or 3
Vandoren V16 or ZZ in a 2 1/2 or 3
Rico Select Jazz in 3M or 3S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts