Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,170 Posts
anythe only “ problem” with Ivory (at least in Europe) is that if you want to sell ivory as Ivory, you need to have an expert declaration to show that it was produced before 1947 BUT for musical instruments the buck is at 1975

“....Together with amendments made to Commission Regulation 865/2006, the Guidance also suspends intra-EU trade in worked ivory items, unless strict conditions are fulfilled. Under the new rules, intra-EU trade in worked ivory items is only permitted if the items in question pre-date 1947, and commercial transactions are only permitted with a certificate from Member States' authorities. Such certificates can still also be issued for intra-EU trade in musical instruments containing ivory from before 1975. Additional restrictions apply to ivory imports into and re-exports from the EU...."

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I have a Dolmetch tenor recorder made of rosewood with ivory rings. I also have a box of old ivory from piano keys. I use it to replace missing key tops. I'm a piano tech. The hyde glue gets brittle, the ivory pops off and gets lost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,967 Posts
I just bought a Taiwanese Vito alto because I wanted the Berkeley case. I’ll just throw the alto on EBay and take whatever for it.
Same goes with mouthpieces. You sometimes see old junk horns with vintage Links and Bergs in the case on Shopgoodwill.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,691 Posts
Years ago I used to do a lot of banjo and ukulele restoring. Somebody gave me some pieces of mammoth tusk. It’s prehistoric so no problem with the feds!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,691 Posts
I have a Dolmetch tenor recorder made of rosewood with ivory rings…
yes. I think all of the high-end Dolmetsch recorders had ivory rings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember a real ivory tusk on Shop in the early 2000s. I knew it was real because my father had some in the 60s and I recognized the ring and texture pattern in the closup. I bid up to around 3k and it went up to 5+. Absolutely illegal. Never see something like that now.
It was legal until 2016. I inherited my ivory from my folks and have to find museums to give it away to. :mad:

·
Registered
Antigua Powerbell Tenor, Martin Magna Tenor, King gold plate Voll True Tenor
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Neat ad. Wow on the prices :oops: Was probably a fair amount of money back then though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, your post got the attention of Google's AI and came up as a suggestion in my news flow. You're a celebrity now! :D

Great find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's funny, I've been crazy about postwar Kings for over 30 years but always heard the pre-Zephyr horns were sketchy. On the other hand I've been told Super 20s had bad intonation, and never found that to be true. One thing you can't say about most Kings is that they're not beautifully made. I overhauled straight and curved sopranos (conventional, no Saxellos) and a pristine gold plated C melody from before this Voll True and they were all nice horns, although the C melody had awkward ergos. The curved soprano was the prettiest sounding soprano I've ever heard. This looks like a beauty. I get the feeling King made their strap rings out of brass when nickel silver would have been better; the one on my Super 20 tenor wore through too, and I didn't play it nearly as much as I should have; but otherwise I see that as a sign of a well-loved horn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing you can't say about most Kings is that they're not beautifully made.
Oh man, I almost jumped all over that until I read it again and caught the double negative. And only now do I notice who the poster is! How are ya, buddy? I still have your sticker inside my S20's case. And in my case (see what I did there), the case isn't seeing much use because I've been playing mine as much as possible. It's still not enough, but more than it has been for the past few years anyway.

...the one on my Super 20 tenor wore through too, and I didn't play it nearly as much as I should have; but otherwise I see that as a sign of a well-loved horn.
Definitely the signs of a well-loved horn and a too-thin neck strap hook. Did you part ways with your Super 20? You adored that horn when you got it!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts