Registered
Antigua Powerbell Tenor, Martin Magna Tenor, King gold plate Voll True Tenor
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Textile Purple Material property Tints and shades Electric blue

Musical instrument Sleeve Rectangle Red Magenta

Textile Sleeve Tints and shades Art Magenta

Wood Creative arts Art Sewing Tints and shades

Musical instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

I like to browse the Goodwill site and oogle at all the expensive saxophones that people donate and wonder if the donors have any idea at all about the value of some of the donations? Probably not. Cleaning out grandpa's house? Oh yeah, toss that old (insert expensive brand name) saxophone in the donation bag. Certainly a lot of junk too. I saw what seemed to be a pretty gold plate tenor. Something about it I really liked. I bid, but missed the end of the auction :( A week or so later it was re-listed. I inquired as to why and was told because of non-payment. I was super happy and now it's mine :)
I guess it must have been someones main sax as the ring for the neck strap was just about worn through and there are alot of marks from being in a sax stand. It is gold plate and I am carefully polishing it a little at a time. So far just the bell end and one key. It's going well I think. I love the engraving. The left hand palm key pads will need replacing as they are crispy and leaking but all others are soft with no leaks. There was a reed holder with a date of April 14th 1969 and the price in pencil and someones name. I wish these things came with a "Hornfax" like a "Carfax" so you could see all the neat history. Where they played, who played them, what kind of music etc...
Not a big $$$ horn but something just drew me to it.
If anyone can bring me up to speed about if this was a popular model or anything else that would be great :)
Rectangle Wind instrument Gas Metal Musical instrument

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,230 Posts
New Voll True...so after the Voll Trues, and before the Voll True II's.

Nice horn, really.....sounds big as a house, ergos are quite OK, and intonation is decent.

Splitbell Kings do not have much of a reputation, but they are quite solid horns ....and that one looks nice.

If in Play shape, maybe an $800 sax. If not in play shape (usually Goodwill horns aren't) then maybe $450, just because of it's physical condition being good, aesthetically.

·
Registered
Mark VI tenor/ Jody Jazz jet. Yamaha 62 bari/ V16 B9. Jupiter alto :( / Jody jazz HR
35 Posts
So I see people have found horns at goodwill more often than I’d think they do, but how muck did goodwill sell it for.

·
Registered
Antigua Powerbell Tenor, Martin Magna Tenor, King gold plate Voll True Tenor
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I see people have found horns at goodwill more often than I’d think they do, but how muck did goodwill sell it for.
I think my winning bid was $342.00
I am happy with that. Nice vintage sax that was less expensive than a cheap Chinese sax on Amazon :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
They’re all over the map these days. Seems like horns that are nothing special go cheap, better horns are doing noticably better. Also good horns are not showing up as frequently. I’m wondering if some donors are deciding to sell for themselves instead of giving to charity.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I remember a real ivory tusk on Shop in the early 2000s. I knew it was real because my father had some in the 60s and I recognized the ring and texture pattern in the closup. I bid up to around 3k and it went up to 5+. Absolutely illegal. Never see something like that now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I still find value on Shopgoodwill.com. It’s just a matter of bidding what it’s worth to you. I’ve been outbid rarely and I‘m always okay when I am outbid.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Love old Kings! I'm lucky I haven't checked ShopGoodWill in a few weeks, I probably would have bid on this. Gold plated, almost play-condition for less than $350? I'd say you got a bargain.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,747 Posts
I’ve come out on the losing end 2 out of 3 times on shopgoodwill mainly because of my own fault. Bid the max you’re willing to lose taking into account repairs and shipping. Expect anything you win to need a full overhaul and you pay for shipping both ways to the tech doing the repairs.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I remember a real ivory tusk on Shop in the early 2000s. I knew it was real because my father had some in the 60s and I recognized the ring and texture pattern in the closup. I bid up to around 3k and it went up to 5+. Absolutely illegal. Never see something like that now.
Not illegal if it came from a time before killing animals for ivory was illegal. At least here in the US.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
International ban in 1990
US 2016. So you are right, at the time it probably was legal.
I got at least 6 saxs, 5 guitars, one 36 string harp, large native drum, large rain stick, power amp, keyboard, subwoofer and clothes. Haven't done any auctioning in years.

·
Registered
A: 1939 king Zephyr A+T: Martin HC 1 B: 1934 Martin Imperial 1973 Buffet SDA low-A
316 Posts
Not illegal if it came from a time before killing animals for ivory was illegal. At least hear in the US.
Hmmmmm. I think there was an edition of “feds gone wild” on ivory keys on pianos. My sister bought an older Steinway piano and the ivory keys had to be removed. See below article. I guess it is too “hard” for the feds to assess the age of a piano and whether ivory keys were legal or not. Essentially, my understanding is that selling a piano with ivory keys that is newer than 100 years old is now for the most part illegal.

“According to Fish and Wildlife, old ivory is included in this ban because it is difficult for government inspectors to tell whether ivory is new or old, legal or illegal, and because the market for legal ivory is being used as a cover for illegally obtained ivory.”

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
International ban in 1990
US 2016. So you are right, at the time it probably was legal.
I got at least 6 saxs, 5 guitars, one 36 string harp, large native drum, large rain stick, power amp, keyboard, subwoofer and clothes. Haven't done any auctioning in years.
I have some very old ivory crochet hooks that belonged to my grandmother. I keep them because they're something different. Not that I crochet. I also have an old clarinet with ivory rings on the tenons and bell. The ivory was harvested long before anyone thought to ban it so I'm pretty sure there's no problem with it.

-- edit-- Just read ROARII's post above. Guess I'd better get rid of those crochet hooks then. :geek: One would think the government would have more things to worry about than 100 year old pianos or my grandmother's crochet hooks.

As an aside, I know of a woodwind tech who has a big chunk of tusk in his shop that he keeps for repair work on antique instruments. I'm not telling who or where.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts