Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And all I can say is "wow!" I've only had it for a few days, but so far it's blown me away. It's everything I always wanted the Robusto to be - which, by the way, is an incredible mouthpiece in it's own right. Gives me all the color and flexibility except with that focus and intensity that I love. I'll give a more thorough review once I've spent a few weeks getting to know it well, but I'm really stoked about this!

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Thank you!!!!

This is the model that I use and I absolutely love it.
The Robusto is for the player that wants that more spread and fat sound. I used that piece full-time for almost 5 years, and then I wanted to offer players something more focused with a big sound, so I made The Showtime. This gives players both options to choose from. I switched to The Showtime as soon as I finished the design.
The Showtime is more focused with a huge sound, and a little more brights available, in comparison. Very even top to bottom. Amazingly versatile.

Have fun with it and I look forward to your review.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just got a Showtime myself, and as with all 10mfan pieces, it's another HOMERUN of a mouthpiece! But this one's even better...like a GRAND SLAM! It blows so easy with great core AND projection, an absolute blast to play! It makes me very happy to see so many people enjoying them!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I play HR Black Widow, Robusto and Metal Boss. I don't see a point in going to another mouthpiece maker. I'd like to try a Showtime at some point, but I'd just end up with four 10mfan pieces. There are some other guys making great mouthpieces, but everyone of Mark's is like holy crap good and of original design.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Mark's most recent offerings on alto and tenor have become my main pieces. Love my Showtime that I got a few months ago, really brings a great tone to my Ref 36. I'm playing it in a small combo (one of a couple of horns, guitar/keys/bass/drums), doing classic jazz straight-ahead standards and ballads. A more centered tone that can be shaped easily to the style I'm playing with great presence. And maintains a full tone over the range of the horn. Using a Showboat on my alto, I get a lively/full tone with great projection for my other regular gig in a horn section on alto playing a more contemporary venue; expressive and responsive, sounds great miked. I haven't played any other alto mouthpiece like it. Like many other players, I enjoy a good Meyer on alto but I like the Showboat better than any of them that I've played.

Mark made me a good deal on a Classic, I wanted to try his Category 1 on tenor to compare to the Showtime. Love the Classic, too. Agree with Mark's characterization of his Cat 1 pieces....still has great core and really opens up the tone on the horn. And very responsive as well as the Showtime, maybe a slightly fuller low end and stays lush up to the upper notes on the sax. My Showtime is still my go-to but I really like the Classic, too, definitely hanging on to it. Honestly, I can make that Classic bark when I want to, as easily as the Showtime.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Thank you guys very much!
So glad you all are enjoying these mouthpieces. The Showtime is such a joy for me also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,045 Posts
The Showtime that I tried put me in mind of Sam The Man Taylor. Sam had this gargantuan sized tone with a lot of sizzle on top and a ton of booty on the bottom. The whole horn just vibrated up and down the horn, and the lower register was AS fat and still as focused as the the second and third octaves. Wide open all throughout the range of the horn, incredibly free blowing and like every one of Mark's pieces, a step up or down in reed strength can gain you an extra few decibels of edge or an extra few of core. I can use 3s or 3.5s with the exact same free response. Loved the Showtime I tried!

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Thank you, Eric.
This piece is as hot as my Robusto right now. I switched to this because it just does it all with more focus and punch than the Robusto, and less brights than the BW—-but still with a HUGE SOUND!
So glad you are loving your Black Widow so much. You really sound fantastic on it!!!
All the best, Mark

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just purchased a Showtime 7** from Mark as well. I'm coming from playing higher baffle, Med. small chamber pieces. Playing more standards and combo stuff than my former raucous pop/R&B self, I need something that was bit less 'arrogant' but I didn't want to get stuffy.
I have to say how delightfully shocked I am with this piece. The low end responds effortlessly with whatever attack you want to make it ... including just a 'breathy' entrance. More free blowing than I expected.
Another major plus for me, as that even for a piece that is more 'straight ahead' than I am used playing, I honestly feel that the Showtime gave up nothing in terms of volume. It has a very rich core with lots of color and character, more edge than I expected .... but it's so cool that the same timre and richness down low never changes at all going up through the middle and upper register. The piece plays with that same rich thick timbre everywhere on the horn. Quite an accomplishment, I would say. I couldn't decide between the Robusto and the Showtime from reading and listening to clips ..... but now I know "I have Chosen Wisely" ! Great piece Mark ... Congrats.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Brian, thank you for posting this. I am so glad you are loving this piece already. Try some different brands of reaes to get the color and feel that you want, and you will be very happy.
Enjoy the Showtime and stay in touch.

All the best, Mark

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I started playing an 8* recently and again, as any product proposed by Mark, it is a killer mouthpiece. I played a Robusto in the past but the showtime brings the concept of mouthpiece versatility yet to the next level.
My playing ranges form soft jazz ballads to loud funk covers with electric bass and guitars all around me.
The Showtime for me has :

- an amazingly rich and colourful core tone that can be shaped very easily
- a strong focus and a perfect balance through the complete sax range (high register is super solid with a nice crispness)
- a huge power and projection potential

These intrinsic qualities make the Showtime probably the best HR piece capable to perform without compromise in any musical style.
I have not tried the Black Widow but the Showtime offers me all I want from a top of the range mouthpiece ... and even much more.

Warning : before you try a Showtime, please blow your current HR pieces before ... as it is probably the last time ever you gonna blow them :)))))

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
This is a great review----thank you very much for that!
I am so glad you are loving this piece. I am using a 5* Showtime, and I find it completely joyous.
NOTHING LIKE ORIGINAL DESIGNS to give players real options out there.
Have fun with it, and if you make a recording, I WOULD LOVE TO PUT IT UP.
ALL the best, Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts