Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the sound, response, and resonance, but I am having some serious intonation issues. I am pretty sure It is my own doing becuase working with my tuner I could not really find any trend or pattern: I am just playing a lot of notes out of tune, flat and sharp.

I know the G1 necks are hard to control, is this something that I will get used to? I feel that my emborechure is fairly well developed. Should I look into getting a new neck? Send the damn horn back?

Another question: The horn has a lot of fingerprints and marks that I can't get off. Has anyone had experience returning UL horns to Prowinds or another online dealer?

I am playing on a guardala SK Mp.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I'll bet that mpc has a lot to do with your intonation problems. Try tuning your mpc without the horn to make sure your embouchre is set right, then find the optimal place on the cork to put the mpc. If you still have big problems, try another mpc, get another horn, or learn to live with it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Clay - Where in Norcal are you? I also have a 82Z but it plays very well in tune using a Guardala Studio. I'm on the Sacramento area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomsch: I go to school and live in the Santa Rosa area for the summer. Are you playing on the G1 neck? Did you have a similar experience when you first got the horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
It's freaky to see how many folks complain about their 82Z intonation four years after Yamaha supposedly fixed the G1 neck. I would be worried about buying one without playing it first (with a tuner.) I played a lacquered 82Z at USA Horn this weekend and the intonation was great (with my Mojo modified Meyer). I tried about 8 horns (including Mark VI) and I liked the Z best.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I own a YTS Unlaquered Z (WOF) as well. And it is amazing. Initally, I had problems with high C and above (into the palm keys) being significantly sharp. I realized this was due to my playing habits from my previous horn where I had to "lip up" the high notes. The high end on the Z is designed to utilize a players "normal" embouchure AND AIR STREAM (it should feel like you are playing in the mid range throughout the horn, and you should not ever have to "lip up" or thin out your air stream at higher pitch levels) Therefore, the timbre of the higher notes will be full and beautiful. (not pinched and shrill, like on my other horn) I sat with a piano (which I prefer to a tuner) and hit my long tones for a long, long, tone..uh I mean time. :) Work on consistency of embouchure and air stream. Remember that you should be playing a G (or some say F#) on just the mouthpiece. (for tenor)

Then again, maybe you got a used horn, or new old stock?? Search for yamaha contact info. There is a phone # around here somewhere to figure out when your horn was shipped. Yamaha keeps their date of production a mystery for some reason, and serial numbers tell you nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your responses.
I am not trying to 'blame' the horn for bad intonation, I have just noticed that the pitch is very flexible. In fact one of the first things I noticed when I played it was that my vibrato came out way more than I was accustomed to! I think I have some un-compensating to do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,942 Posts
Why not ease into the horn with a less radical mouthpiece for a while?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would classify the 82Z as the most in-tune tenor I've owned (and that has been quite a few overy the 25+ years I've been playing). As everyone has mentioned it also is very sensitive to airstream. Give it good support and, top to bottom, it plays very well in tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Clay does the serial number start with the letter C or X? did you get an alto or a tenor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again for your replies. I can check the S/N when I get home. And it is a tenor.

As far as the mouthpiece goes, I love the sound I get out of my guardala, but honestly it can be a beast of a mouthpiece, pretty large opening and a huge sound. I still have my rubber berg piece which is a little more closed, and the yamaha 4c (which is still in the plastic wrap). Ill play around with those and see if there is any improvement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I think some must still have neck problems. I tested a lacquered one in a store and loved it but the high end was WAY sharp. I ordered a UL and it is perfectly in tune.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bluenote NY, what is the significance of the SN starting with a C or X? Mine starts with a C...something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
278 Posts
As my instructor said "Its usually not the horn" so try to see if there is a problem before condeming the horn

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Blame the horn. I had a YTS 82Z UL. It had terrible intonation problems. And that was with the new neck. It wasn't just me. Other players including my teacher had the same trouble with it. I sold it (with full disclosure to the buyer about its problems). I am convinced that some Zs are just fundamentally flawed in the intonation area. Apparently others aren't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I played this horn yesterday with the yamaha 4c mouthpiece. It played perfectly in tune. Probably mostly because the 4c had an offensively small tip opening. On my berg, which has a 110 opening, the intonation was also much better. I dont even know how to figure out the size on my guardala but it is significantly larger than my berg. I think it's a mouthpiece/ my bad playing habits problem really.

On a side note, when I am playing in tune, this horn is outstanding. It feels like there is almost nothing inbetween me and the music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,942 Posts
You may need to use mouthpieces with a larger chamber volume then.

It's worth spending some time (and money) to dial in your horn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts