Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an auction on feeBay for a SilverSonic that was (is) missing the neck, but it was way over-priced IMO.
The auction description said to given them any offer, that no offers would be automatically refused.
After starting at a very low offer we worked it to the point I think is a very good deal, only time will tell.
Here are the feeBay images, I'll post mine soon....
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can't wait to get it home to really look it over.

BTW- For those interested in what I got for mouthpieces, there is a Riffault R5 "Steelite Ebonite", a Brilhart Ebolin 5, Berg Larson HR 110/1, and a Berg Larson Metal 110/1. The Berg's have Berg lig's, and the metal mpc has a Berg cover.

Now comes the fun part.....finding a neck at a reasonable price!!!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good time to buy one of those Gloger silver necks, given the recent USD strength. Congratulations.
I was thinking about that as I was dealing with the seller.
I think right now the Gloger necks are about $760 (660 euros with the underslung neck) if memory serves me.
I may have to recheck.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Beautiful horn! Good luck with the neck search!
I always wondered whether an underslug from Yani would work on a king?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking about that as I was dealing with the seller.
I think right now the Gloger necks are about $760 (660 euros with the underslung neck) if memory serves me.
I may have to recheck.
I think that's about right. Probably still cheaper than buying a beater horn with a neck. I guess you could find a neck that might work if it's a single-socket model. Seems like it's easier to find a King without a neck than a neck without a King. I would probably get the Gloger neck to be able to play it asap, and then still look for an original King neck.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Ummmmmm.......:scratch:
OK, I can't leave you scratching your head. Here is the longer version: besides the after market Gloger, the other good brand I know makes a similar underslug neck in Solid Silver is Yanagisawa. I don't know whether that neck would work well on a Super 20 though, hence, I wonder whether anyone here has any information or experience with that.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
With the money you saved you can go get some lessons, which will most likely create more GAS

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,195 Posts
Beautiful horn! Good luck with the neck search!
I always wondered whether an underslug from Yani would work on a king?
It can be made to fit. I did buy a 65 which was then be made to fit a King super 20 of o slightly later eara.. Whether it would “work” as in performing equally or better, remains to be seen. Mine didn’t, but my later (around series 800xxx) alto was a USA one with intonation characteristics which made it, for me, impossible to play in tune.

I had bought a Gloger neck for my King super 20 tenor, later I sold that neck to member Brasscane and bought a solid silver King neck from member DVZE.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I can't leave you scratching your head. Here is the longer version: besides the after market Gloger, the other good brand I know makes a similar underslug neck in Solid Silver is Yanagisawa. I don't know whether that neck would work well on a Super 20 though, hence, I wonder whether anyone here has any information or experience with that.
Thanks Guto.
I have looked into the Yani's.
But the prices are as much, if not more than a Gloger!
I am not sure how to test them all against each other.
We can certainly test the Yani at a music store (another trip to Vegas to see Dave Kessler & the gang??)

......I had bought a Gloger neck for my King super 20 tenor, later I sold that neck to member Brasscane and bought a solid silver King neck from member DVZE.
There is a member of the King Super 20 Saxophone Owners Group that has both an original neck (Series V) & a Gloger ("very late S20"....USA??) that is going to test on the Series V.
That should steer me in what direction to go, wait for an original to show up for sale (and be there at the right time) or 'wait' for a new Gloger.

With the money you saved you can go get some lessons, which will most likely create more GAS
SaxPunter, parents are Mexicans, grew up on beans.......don't need any more gas, or GAS.
As for lessons, I do not have the patience for playing sax. At least I don't think I do. And I go to work at 6am & get back home at 7pm M-F.
I suppose these are all excuses not to play when I should just 'do it'. Obviously it wouldn't be for anything but enjoyment.
Maybe I can pay Amanda to give me some lessons, she talks about possibly teaching as a profession.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts
Is this horn for you or Amanda?

Aaron Barnard knows Kings. Give a call to Barnard Repair to consider your options.

http://www.barnardrepair.com/

I dig Kings - finally got one after playing for 40+ years - but I don't know that I'd recommend one to a beginner of any age.

Enjoy the path.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,195 Posts
at the time I found that the differences among Gloger and original Kings were negligible. The Gloger was beautiful neck made with great care.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this horn for you or Amanda?........
Ideally for Amanda.
The long story is that we went to the Hollywood Sam Ashe 2 weekends ago were she really liked a gold plated Mk VI.....at $12,500!!! (I'm not financing that!)
Her BF really liked a 30M.
So last weekend they both took their main horns (Amanda has a Ref. 54 alto & her BF has a Mk VI tenor) to compare.
Amanda found the Mk Vi very similar to her Ref. 54, though brighter.
Her comment was that this might be a good thing (brightness/volume) for a lead player.
From what I have read the S-20 would accomplish this.
I am not saying the Ref. 54 would not also do this, so please let's not get into the aspects of what a Ref. 54 can or cannot do.

The other aspect is that I think the SilverSonic looks really COOL.
Of course that is purely a personal opinion.

I shall reach out the Barnard.
Thanks Dr. G

at the time I found that the differences among Gloger and original Kings were negligible. The Gloger was beautiful neck made with great care.
VERY good to know, thank milandro

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.......the other good brand I know makes a similar underslug neck in Solid Silver is Yanagisawa. I don't know whether that neck would work well on a Super 20 though, hence, I wonder whether anyone here has any information or experience with that.
It can be made to fit. I did buy a 65 which was then be made to fit a King super 20 of o slightly later eara.. Whether it would “work” as in performing equally or better, remains to be seen......
milandro, by "made to fit" do you mean tenon sizes are different?
What I noticed is that the octave post is below the top on the S-20 (SilverSonic), while above on the Yani.
So either some sort of post extension needs to be adapted on the sax or the key extended on the neck.
This would not be an issue on the Gloger nor original.

·
33,238 Posts
Ideally for Amanda.
The long story is that we went to the Hollywood Sam Ashe 2 weekends ago were she really liked a gold plated Mk VI.....at $12,500!!! (I'm not financing that!)
Her BF really liked a 30M.
So last weekend they both took their main horns (Amanda has a Ref. 54 alto & her BF has a Mk VI tenor) to compare.
Amanda found the Mk Vi very similar to her Ref. 54, though brighter.
Her comment was that this might be a good thing (brightness/volume) for a lead player.
The sure cure for GAS is to stop looking. If she needs a touch more projection or brightness, that is easily tweaked by a choice of reed and/or mouthpiece. If the horn has such a dominant characteristic in one direction or another, it may not be so easily tempered when it needs to match other needs. Regarding the Mk VI - there is a lot of variation between different Mk VI horns, but they are flexible and fit many needs. Maybe that is why it seems so popular, as it endured for decades as the go-to horn for classical, jazz, pop, etc. Look at what the majority of lead alto players have in their faces - Selmers (Mk VI, Ref 54, Serie II, Serie III). Much as I love my Super 20 tenor, I am not (yet?) comfortable using it for classical ensembles. My Borgani seems the more flexible horn for my needs.

Amanda has a good horn. Keep it well-maintained, and it will be solid.

·
33,238 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Riffault and Brilhart 5s and Berg .110s. There's quite a contrast.

My initial reaction is the the Golger would be a more accepted replacement should you seek to sell the sax.

East lake? What year is it?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts