Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Kind of a freebie that was thrown in with a clarinet I got off ebay. I can only find fingering charts for keyless fifes online. Where can I find one for this?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just sat down to tinker with this. Turns out the rods on this don't have slots, I'm guessing they are pressed into place. What now?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, there are six keys, and yes they work fine. Except that the pads have come out of the cups and are firmly stuck to the body.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the headjoint, I just didn't want to put it back on before cleaning it thoroughly. The headjoint is two pieces, with metal sleeves. I guess you're supposed to tune it here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks like a six key flute. Any name on it?

Try Terry McGee's site for fingering charts or check here too:

http://www.wfg.woodwind.org/charanga/

The pins holding the keywork probably push through. We usually use a punch and push to get it started, then grab the opposite side with smooth jawed pliers and pull..

Joe B

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts

Kind of a freebie that was thrown in with a clarinet I got off ebay. I can only find fingering charts for keyless fifes online. Where can I find one for this?
You don't really need one.

Assuming xxx|xxx is D (it could be another note of course depending on the transposition/pitch, but D is the flute or whistle fingering. On my fife that note is a concert B, sort of)

then as you remove each finger you go up a D major (so all fingers off is C#)

The other keys are very simple chromatic notes,

xxx|xxx = D

xxx|xxx plus lowest key = Eb/D#

xxx|xx0 = E

xxx|xx0 plus second lowest key is F natural

xxx|x00 = F#

xxx|000 = G

xxx|000 plus LH pinky = G#

xxx0|000 = A

xxx0|000 plus thumb key = A#/Bb

x00|000 = B

x00|000 plus top key = C natural (this is the long key whose keytouch i8s above the G# keycup and is operated with LH1)

000|000 = C#

For upper octave same but blow harder (not quite that simple but it'll get you started)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
At least now if you come across a bore you can say, with authority, "Get a fife."

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Yep, a standard 6 key piccolo. These were still being sold new in Germany when I was there in the 1960s. Not a fife for sure.

·
28,952 Posts
Yep, a standard 6 key piccolo. These were still being sold new in Germany when I was there in the 1960s. Not a fife for sure.
How can you tell that from the photo? It looks very similar to my fife.

(This was my grandfather's, he wielded it in the Irish rebellion)

·
28,952 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts