Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Yamaha U3 studio, 52 inches tall and it sounds great. Would have preferred a Steinway but I couldn't afford a new one ($34,000 for an upright) and there's more misinformation on the used ones so I sprung for the Yamaha. I couldn't be happier and it's a huge improvement over my Yamaha CP5 keyboard. Hope all is well. Phil Barone

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Yamaha’s are great pianos. Sviatoslav Richter played them later in his career. I’ve got a Kawai (not quite as nice as a Yamaha IMO) and enjoy the feel of an acoustic instrument.

P.S. If I had the dough I’d buy a Schimmel.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yamaha’s are great pianos. Sviatoslav Richter played them later in his career. I’ve got a Kawai (not quite as nice as a Yamaha IMO) and enjoy the feel of an acoustic instrument.

P.S. If I had the dough I’d buy a Schimmel.
Thanks Bluto! I'm very happy with it. I can't go back to the keyboard anymore, there's not enough resistance and I overcompensate now. Phil Barone

·
Registered
718 Posts
Congratulations! A fine instrument for sure. Enjoy!

I play my 97 year old teacher's Steinway B every week. It is amazing. When I was considering buying a new piano a she said "get a full size Yamaha upright unless you can get a proper grand." Good call on the U3!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I play a Milton Spinet, good enough for my minimal practice routine. But getting something like a Yamaha or Kawai would be nice, as well as a keyboard for playing at night.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations! A fine instrument for sure. Enjoy!

I play my 97 year old teacher's Steinway B every week. It is amazing. When I was considering buying a new piano a she said "get a full size Yamaha upright unless you can get a proper grand." Good call on the U3!
I tried to get a baby grand Yam but they couldn't get it in my house and my room isn't that big so I went with the 52 inch upright. I'm very happy with it. Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice. U3's are such fantastic uprights (U1s and it's cheaper B3 cousin, too).

I'd love a Steinway or a Yamaha baby grand, but I don't know where I'd put it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, Phil I'm sure you already know this, but string length has a great deal to do with quality of sound on a piano, especially on the lowest notes. The taller uprights can often have as much string length as small baby grands. Plus, if you are buying a good upright like yours, what you're paying for is all piano. A tiny grand, you're paying as much for the appearance as for the piano. I would rather have a good upright than a mediocre tiny grand, and I think most serious pianists would agree.

Now, a good grand (at least 5'8" long - think Mason & Hamlin A or Steinway M or O) is another matter altogether - but boy do they take up a lot of room!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Phil I'm sure you already know this, but string length has a great deal to do with quality of sound on a piano, especially on the lowest notes. The taller uprights can often have as much string length as small baby grands. Plus, if you are buying a good upright like yours, what you're paying for is all piano. A tiny grand, you're paying as much for the appearance as for the piano. I would rather have a good upright than a mediocre tiny grand, and I think most serious pianists would agree.

Now, a good grand (at least 5'8" long - think Mason & Hamlin A or Steinway M or O) is another matter altogether - but boy do they take up a lot of room!
No, I didn't know this but my U3 sounds fantastic and the low notes are dynamite, I love playing down there. I did some research before I bought but I was looking for a used Steinway but I got so many conflicting opinions, buy old, buy new, rebuilt ones aren't very good, all that so I said the heck with it, I'll buy a Yamaha. I trust the brand. Yeah, baby grands are very cosmetic. Thank you, Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts