Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on this piece. It looks like there nick on piece but it isn’t. This piece played super bright and lacked body in my opinion.
I opened it up, thinned rails some and added that chamber mod. Plays way way better. Still bright but had a lot more body to it.
excuse my feet and blanket in background lol 😂

For last two years I been refacing a lot when I lost my job

Musical instrument Wood Tool Finger Beige

Hand Blue Purple Thumb Finger

·
Registered
Conn 26M, Theo Wanne Durga 3 in a 6, Legere American Cut 2.25
157 Posts
I have a cheap Amazon mouthpiece I didn't much like that I "put a bullet chamber in" by just going nuts on it with a Dremel 😆. It still plays awful, but I was surprised by how much it filled up the tone, I'd be interested to hear how it sounds on a mouthpiece that actually started out well made.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a Theo fire mouthpiece I meant to put that in beginning.

i took baffle down also.
I have an amazing drake sanborn alto piece and I put that curve on.

·
Registered
Black Laquer La Sax Soprano, Again, Black Laquer Selmer super action 80 serie II, and
243 Posts
I have to agree with our friend Hassels Here as I’m not gonna lie that must’ve taken a steady hand and a lot of patience but boy do you have both of this great attributes and in spades

For what it’s worth, what I like to do when I’m trying to accomplish a similar goal (meaning add more depth and core to an extremely bright sounding piece), Is I like to begin by thinning the inside of the rails, assuming they’re thick like yours were and then I will often extend the window a bit further down into the table. I’m not talking Going extreme like on say Jody Jazz’s DV, but about maybe a quarter inch all the way around the curvature of the window usually adds enough of that thickness that is often lost on high baffle small chambered pieces. Essentially It doesn’t really matter whether you do it my way or your way as the end result more or less is going to end up being the same which essentially is just increasing the size of the chamber. If we’re splitting hairs I might say that adding that bullet chamber like you did might actually have a smidgen more ofOverall total impact than just enlarging the window and thinning the rails from the inside simply because that bullet chamber took more material out of what I like to consider or call the primary chamber which in my opinion is going to influence the sound more so then it would buy making changes further downstream on a mouthpiece. I know I’m rambling so I really hope that makes sense

·
Registered
Black Laquer La Sax Soprano, Again, Black Laquer Selmer super action 80 serie II, and
243 Posts
Nice work!
The next step is to thin the rails and scoop the walls?
In my honest opinion, those rails (even though they don’t appear to be,) are too thin to scoop out. If it was a larger outer diameter piece much like all HR mouthpieces he could easily scoop them out as the outside of the rails are much thicker due to the cylindrical shape of HR pieces. This metal piece however looks to have straight side walls both on their inner rails as well as the outer wall side of the rails. I’m not saying it can’t be done but The very little amount of material present on this particular metal piece is not worth it as the chances of scooping all the way through the rail is much easier than you would think. This is exactly another reason why MOJO is in my opinion the very elite amongst all the elitists in the industry. Because everything he does is based on mathematics, and extremely accurate and careful measurements. His excell spreadsheet that he programs is in itself light years ahead of the age old reface a little, playtest it, scrape off more, playtest, etc. not that there’s anything wrong with the old school,”do it by feel,” method. But he added science and mathematics to that method and in my opinion he’s ahead of the curve.

Again, this is all just my own opinion. I cannot say for certain that my assumptions are accurate so take it with a grain of salt

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts