Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mad rush to put up songs from my last CD up on I tunes. So I did, uploaded some covers and some originals. Told F and F (friends and fam) and added to my signings here and on other places. Pretty much crickets, lots of so what? I know my stuff isn't incredible music but its not bad.We did I think a great job considering we had to record with no cut ins, and were using a digital recorder at a guys house. No great production value but not a bad product . k so, how do you get interest in your music online? I mean the songs are only a buck. so its not a money thing. Im guessing at least some people have checked without buying , thats cool. I realize that its unlikely that people here on this forum would buy it but I know there is an audience out there? What do you guys do to reach them ? K

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
K seriously from what I discovered you will collect maybe at best 0.02 cents for each download after the "fees". Some yrs back I signed up with "Reverbnation" it's a vanity press outfit with their own "Top 40" charts...also they claim to have promo deals and hook you up with the distributers. It will co$t.

Wish ya the best, I had one orig out there for 5-6 yrs I made like 0.64 so far..:whistle:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
You're best off with a site specific search on this one. Each music provider has a different set of criteria for signing up, but it's not difficult with any of them. Basically you sign up, agree to the terms and conditions, upload your stuff in the correct format, and off you go....

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I haven't actually done this so TIFWIW but my observations are;

It seems to me that most of what passes as marketing these days is sort of "drug-dealer" or fishing style approach; let me give you a full dose of the product for free to set the hook and then after I reel you in I'll start charging you incrementally going forward. Unfortunately this only works economically if you are generating a great deal of new content constantly like online newspapers and magazines or have something highly desirable or addictive like these smartphone app-based games where they give you the first level for free and start charging after that.

I don't want to be negative but otherwise I agree with Cash. I occasionally have this argument with the guys in the bands I play with when they start talking about recording sessions, selling CDs, etc... How much do you really think you can make, $1k maybe $5k? Once you divide it up it's just not worth all the work and trouble. I agree with those folks who basically claim the system has done a 180. It used to be that bands went out on tour to try and get people to buy records now the recorded material is mostly used as a marketing tool to get people to buy tickets to live shows. If the best players in the world are making most of their income off live shows and doing sessions, masterclasses, and teaching and little off recordings what chance do we have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I haven't actually done this so TIFWIW but my observations are;

It seems to me that most of what passes as marketing these days is sort of "drug-dealer" or fishing style approach; let me give you a full dose of the product for free to set the hook and then after I reel you in I'll start charging you incrementally going forward. Unfortunately this only works economically if you are generating a great deal of new content constantly like online newspapers and magazines or have something highly desirable or addictive like these smartphone app-based games where they give you the first level for free and start charging after that.

I don't want to be negative but otherwise I agree with Cash. I occasionally have this argument with the guys in the bands I play with when they start talking about recording sessions, selling CDs, etc... How much do you really think you can make, $1k maybe $5k? Once you divide it up it's just not worth all the work and trouble. I agree with those folks who basically claim the system has done a 180. It used to be that bands went out on tour to try and get people to buy records now the recorded material is mostly used as a marketing tool to get people to buy tickets to live shows. If the best players in the world are making most of their income off live shows and doing sessions, masterclasses, and teaching and little off recordings what chance do we have.
Yes - That is why so many older artists are back out on tour - Royalties no longer supports their lifestyle. I believe more recorded music gets stolen than paid for. It's also why concert tickets that used to be $10 now cost upwards of $200.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yes - That is why so many older artists are back out on tour - Royalties no longer supports their lifestyle. I believe more recorded music gets stolen than paid for. It's also why concert tickets that used to be $10 now cost upwards of $200.
Yeah I've lost all interest in going to see any major artist not just because of the cost but also the behavior of most of the concert goers. I went to see Elton John a couple years back and most of the folks only shut up long enough to take selfies and snap-chat. Could hardly see or hear anything- awful experience. Going to see anyone at a large venue is now pointless unless you are going to spring for the really big money and get floor seats close to the stage. Paying $200 to sit in the first mezzanine and deal with all the idiots is more than I can tolerate. I'd rather sit at home with a good bottle of wine and listen to CDs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
It goes beyond just promoting a single project/album/whatever. You need to build and maintain a fanbase consistently, then when you do release stuff people will want to/feel compelled to purchase it/support it. Use various forms of social media- YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Use analytics to target to specific people at specific times, etc. For example I can see which times of the day and which days of the week people view my channel more than others, so I use that info to guide when I release certain things. Also targeted advertising can work great- getting the right people to see your product is key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts