Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone from a meyer limited 6, all jody's 7 facings (still need to explain my thoughts about those) except the DV, and the beechler bellite 7. None seem to get what I need the most. I'm looking for a large sound for lead alto with a deep full tone. Free blowing is an issue to ( i need it to be free!). Any ideas? i'm all mouthpieced out already. Please don't mention the DV I kinda dont wanna spend 450 bucks lol. Little help? any help? something. It doesnt have to be a SUPER loud piece either, but give me some ideas plz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Try some different reeds. The Meyer should give you what you are looking for if you know how to play it. You could always send one off to a refacer to make it more freeblowing, but I would just stick with a stock one if you can get it to work.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My morgan 6m is a deep full sounding mouthpiece, that is very loud on my conn, and is very free blowing.

·
480 Posts
Ditto that- the Morgan is a sweet piece and free-blowing to be sure. Once you get a piece you like, work with it, learn it inside out. Going from one to another in the G.A.S. mode will do your playing no good at all.

·
Banned
624 Posts
jacobeid said:
My morgan 6m is a deep full sounding mouthpiece, that is very loud on my conn, and is very free blowing.
I have the 7m and it is very loud! Sometimes I think too loud. So I guess the Morgan 6m isn't any better. :)

·
The finest ORIGINAL mouthpieces in the marketplace
15,797 Posts
Get a vintage Berg hard rubber with the offset letter, and have it refaced by Brian Powell. Its exactly the sound youre talking about. I have 2 that are my personal pieces. I bought them for around $70 each and spent the same on a reface. For Around $140 each,I have 2 killer--- and I mean killer pieces. Fantastic old hard rubber.

·
Registered
554 Posts
"and now for something entirely different"...I use metal Bergs ...a 1962 110/0 and a newer 95/1 with #2 Fibracells. I also have a Meyer G 7. The Bergs give me a loud, but not harsh, full sound and good intonation. The Meyer G is very free blowing, but the tone is too focused for me. The Bergs work well on both my Conn 6m and Yamaha Z.

·
Registered
24 Posts
has anybody ever heard about the vandoren mpc(european company)?
I think they have the best mpc . I ' ve tryed the morgan's but I don't like them.

·
Banned
624 Posts
bfoster64 said:
Morgan 8m screams and purrs.
When I said my 7M was too loud I meant it's hard to play softly esp. when attacking the low notes. But I'm not sure if it's mpc, reed, or what causing this. Alto is new for me.

·
1,230 Posts
I play lead alto in a big band and I use a metal Berg Larsen 85 2/(Offset)M bullet chambered. It's powerful, free blowing and has a nice rounded sound. It's hard to find a good Larsen so I consider myself a lucky guy. For consistency and nice sound you should try SR Technologies mouthpieces. I'm using an SR Tech Pro with my tenor saxophone and it's by far the best mouthpiece I tried. I guess their alto mouthpieces should be the same.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For a piece for a "huge and full" sound but without the edge, check out vintage Brilhart Personaline "L" models. These are large chambers. One of the three alto pieces that I have and play as my own is an L6, and it roars! It's almost as loud as my metal berg, but still full and fat. No edge at all!

Morgan "L" chambers are a modern copy of the Personaline "L" chamber, from what I understand. I do like the Morgan "L"s a lot (actually I REALLY like them!), but I prefer the Brilhart a tad more. Morgan L is deffinitly the runner up for this type of sound though.

Good luck, and happy blowing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts