Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up SOTW crew,

My hella-fun, silly-named band, Snarky Puppy, is kicking off a tour starting in about a month. Being the shameless self-promoter that I am, I thought I'd put our dates up good 'n early to give possible south-coast/east-coast show-goers a healthy chunk of time to plan possible show-goage. All these tour dates, as well as tunes, pictures, and videos of the band (taken from shows with Victor Wooten, Mingo Fishtrap, and others), are on our myspace (my ourspace?). But, just because this awesome forum is here, I thought I'd share these dates with you folks directly, for your convenience:

Aug 23 2007 9:00P
Club 115 w/ FATTY LUMPKIN Austin, Texas
Aug 24 2007 10:00P
Hear Denton Festival @ Hailey's w/ OSO CLOSO Denton, Texas
Aug 25 2007 11:00P
TIME2FLY FEST @ Club DaDa Dallas, Texas
Aug 27 2007 9:00P
The Thirsty Hippo Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Aug 28 2007 8:00P
Old Point Bar New Orleans, Louisiana
Aug 29 2007 9:00P
The Maple Leaf New Orleans, Louisiana
Aug 30 2007 8:00P
TBA Birmingham, Alabama
Aug 31 2007 8:00P
Farm 255 Athens, Georgia
Sep 1 2007 8:00P
Farm 255 Athens, Georgia
Sep 2 2007 8:00P
202 Market Roanoke, Virginia
Sep 3 2007 9:00P
Labor Day House Party! Harrisonburg, Virginia
Sep 5 2007 2:30P
FCPS Joint High School Clinic Centreville, Virginia
Sep 6 2007 8:00P
Centreville High School Centreville, Virginia
Sep 7 2007 8:00P
Gravity Lounge Charlottesville, Virginia
Sep 8 2007 9:30P
Jammin' Java w/ FUTURE MacLean, Virginia
Sep 11 2007 10:00P
Bowery Poetry Club w/ CHRIS TARRY (of Metalwood) New York, New York
Sep 13 2007 8:00P
TBA Chicago, Illinois
Sep 14 2007 8:00P
Max's Place Bloomington, Indiana
Sep 15 2007 9:00P
Springfield Brewing Co. (Tentative) Springfield, Missouri

Holy carp that's a long list. By 9/15 we'll be good and sweaty from three weeks in a van, I assure you. But it'll be a blast, and we'll have a great time playing for lots of people who have never heard us. If we're passing through a town occupied by anyone here, please come check us out, come up, and say hi. We're not really all that snarky, and we definitely don't bite.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Dang brian, I'd love to hear you guys but I'm stranded in Abilene, Tx for now...Marching band is starting :( I'm outta luck lol. Have fun!

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like solid advice from a road-hardened veteran. I will indeed stay away from gas station burritos. The bus will be smelly enough as it is, no doubt. I'll try to stick with organic, vegan trail mix and sulfite-free dried fruit.

.....Yeah, that'll last... Pass me a burrito....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,929 Posts
Hey Brian, I just finished a breakfast burrito with bacon and green chile. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout. ;)

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr. G--

I was in Albuquerque all last week, got back Friday. I ingested so much chile that I think my organs are now split evenly between red and green coloration. I wish I still could... Texas THINKS it knows how to cook.

TJ-- I think we tried, with no success, to get a Philly show, but there will be more tours in the near future. If you know people to talk to or a place that could accommodate a 9 piece funk/jazz/world/fusion/prog/instrumental band in Philly, by ALL means send me the info, we'll get on booking asap!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,929 Posts
Brian, did you ever go to "Jazz Under the Stars" at the Albuquerque Museum when you were in high school? I was realizing the other night that you might have heard the Santa Fe Great Big Jazz Band when I was playing with them.

Congrats on the tour. Enjoy!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Brian,

Razzy might also be able to help you find a place in Philly next time

We leave at 6 AM. The tenor player and keyboard player just called. They're eating mexican tonite. I'm gonna kill 'em.

Have a good tour.

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case anyone's curious....

...our tour schedule has changed slightly since my last post in this thread. We're unfortunately not going through Chicago and are instead going through Bloomington, IN (hey, Branford recorded a sweet album there!) and some of the groups we're playing with have shifted. Plus we've added a couple shows with Rudder (a killer band with Chris Cheek, Henry Hay, Tim Lefebvre, and Keith Carlock) to our post-tour schedule. In the unlikely event that you want/need any more info, please check the Snarky site!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
When I first glanced at the thread, I though it said Skinny Puppy was touring. Now that is throwback to my younger years. Anyone else remember Ogre and company?:D

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updizzle

I had a friend who was really into metal and heavy industrial, and Skinny Puppy was one of his favorite bands. I'm going to just put it out there that Snarky Puppy is very, very, VERY different.

Today is, essentially, the first day of the tour, and we hit in Austin tonight at Club 115. If you live in the 512, come check us out! It should be a good show, we're playing with Fatty Lumpkin and it'll be a happening vibe. Tomorrow we're back up in Denton to play at Hailey's club, that show will be PACKED so get there early. Then we're at Club Dada in Dallas on Saturday, and then we're really hittin the road, heading for Hattiesburg, MS and then New Orleans. And then on. And on. And on.

I hope to see some of you out on the road! We need all the support we can get, but the band's really starting to do some exciting things (...if I do say so myself...) and if nothing else we'll be playing with some really great musicians like Keith Anderson, Marcus Miller, Keith Carlock, Henry Hay, Chris Cheek, Chris Tarry, and more. Check out the Myspace for more details.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's a heavy schedule!!

Unfortunately you'll have to come a lot further east before I get to check you out, but I like you guys a lot. Knock 'em dead!!

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Doc. Hopefully we'll get across the pond soon.

We just played in Austin last night, fun little show at a place called Club 115 (I'd never been there before). Decent room. Up to Denton tonight for a likely-going-go-be-packed-as-hell show at Hailey's. Yeehaw.

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lil' update, for anyone remotely interested....

We're in the DC area right now. Our next big shows are at Jammin Java (near DC) on the 8th, and then the Bowery Poetry Club in Manhattan on the 11th. We've had some really good times so far with some killer shows.

Probably the coolest snippet so far: at our second night at Farm 255 in Athens, GA, we were in our first set when Andre 3000 from Outkast showed up with a crazy crew. They hung out all night and bought a bunch of our shirts, CDs, and DVDs. If our merch is cool enough for Andre, isn't it cool enough for you? ;)

......www.snarkypuppy.com.....

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One last update....

We're reaching the final leg of our tour, and things have been exceeding expectation across the board. Thanks to everyone who has come out/is planning to come out to a show, and to anyone who's checked out the Snarky space and listened to some tunes.

Our show in Manhattan was really great, we played to a packed house at the Bowery Poetry Club and got to open for the heavies in Chris Tarry's band. Henry Hay (from Rod Stewart, Rudder, Tain, and other serious bands), one of the heavier keyboard players I've ever heard, tore it up, as did guitar god Pete McCann. And the club is really really cool too, I look forward to getting back there next year.

We've got one more show in DC tonight at the Rock and Roll Hotel; we kept it kind of a secret so it's not on the website, but the word's out now and if you're in the area, come on out and check the show, we're really warm from the road right now and shows are getting better and better. If you're further west, we're heading straight to Bloomington, IN tomorrow, followed by Springfield, MO, and Tulsa, OK. Again, open invitation for any sax players to come up and say hi at a show, I'd love to meet any of you in person. Much love for all.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
You guys need to come to Hawaii...

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Hakukani. As soon as we figure out how to drive the van out there... floaters?

We got back two days ago and overall the tour was incredibly cool. We made a bunch of friends and had a great time, and the next time out promises to be even better. Short ones in November and January (only about as far as Louisiana and Oklahoma) and another mammoth in March which will take us all the way back up to NYC.

In the meantime we have some cool things happening in the DFW area over the next month and a half. On the 27th of this month we're opening for Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk at the Granada Theater in Dallas, which should be awesome (I might have to do another post about that elsewhere), and then we've got a few gigs lined up in Denton, Dallas, and Austin with Rudder, an incredible band from New York with the likes of Chris Cheek, Henry Hay, Tim Lefebvre, and Keith Carlock playing. Once again, if you're in the area, come on out and say hi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts