Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member
I really appreciate all of the help I have gotten to try to dig up as much information on this, I learn something new every day !!
Are you sure you have a Bb tenor? How tall is it without the neck on?

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
It would certainly be helpful to post more photos. That said, these are pretty well known. It's a very early model 127, which they made and evolved until 1945 or so. Has no pearls and the key touches are all brass (silver plated). Keyed to Eb on the top, Bb on the bottom. No pearls, soldered tone holes, really awful ergonomics (but that was normal then). Interesting as a collector item, but not very valuable as one or particularly useful today as a performance instrument. You often see them as lamps or as wall hangings in bars. Still, it's an interesting find.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I should be back to my shop before the weekend, I鈥檒l measure it and post pics up Friday or Saturday.
Maddenma thanks for that, it looks like you have a pretty cool collection!!!

Measuring it will make it certain for you. Anything less than 28" is a C.

However, you don't have to have the horn in hand. There are visual cues. The quick way to tell on early Bueschers whether it's a C or Bb tenor without measuring is to look at the bell/body brace. On the C it's attached to the body between the G & G# key cups (not the touch points, the key cups). On the Bb it's between G# and F.

Another key indicator on early Buescher tenors is the alt-F#. On the C the alt-F# is on the back of the body with the lever wrapping around the body. On the Bb it's the simple spoon-like affair you see on all Buescher altos and baris.

Buescher-True-Tone-Tenors.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine has the f like the one on the right, just scored a C with a 74xxx serial number while out wandering around also 馃榿

BTW, I should probably point out that later on, somewhere between 271xxx and 273xxx, the alt-F# moved to the back of the bell on the model 127 Bb tenors, but on anything earlier it is the spoon affair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok , I鈥檓 back at my shop and took a better look at the his thing , what ever it happens to be it鈥檚 different than the low pitch That I brought home 74xxx

it has the alt f in the front, and 4 keys on the left hand pinky cluster , there are other small differences in the keywork too.
It appears they are the same physical size, The bell looks like it鈥檚 a little farther away from the keys too .

I鈥檓 having a hard time posting pictures after switching from the advanced mobile thing, it says choose file, I do and can鈥檛 figure out how to post ??

Same size being? 24 Inches?
Pictures.
Choose file(folder)-choose- select picture- + to add next/ more upto 5.
Upload
See loaded on bottom left then click on done on far right
Submit post
If you don鈥檛 like the enhanced mobile view go back to the new debutante. Three bars on upper left for menu.

OK I see you鈥檙e learning how to use manage attachments. That鈥檚 great keep playing with it you鈥檒l figure it out

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lmao I couldn鈥檛 find the done button on the bottom of the page.
if it is standing on a table without the neck it is 24鈥 ,
So is it a c but with a spoon style alt f key ?

Lmao I couldn鈥檛 find the done button on the bottom of the page.
if it is standing on a table without the neck it is 24鈥 ,
So is it a c but with a spoon style alt f key ?
Lol,I have a teen daughter that is the family I.T. Department.
Yep 24鈥 is an C melody. See if you can post some pictures of the upper stack straight on looking at the keys and a full view right & left side. The masters will be better able to help with full views.
Fun Cool collection horns to look at.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Somewhere early in the thread there was a question about the design in the engraving on the bell. I can鈥檛 see it clearly. And I risk asking are you actually going to chop these up to make a Frankenhorn? They have survived 100 years. You could probably find a couple of 60s Bundy horns for $100 there鈥檚 millions of those laying around

Registered
The engraving on the top or right one in that photo of yours is a late 20s horn- which of yours is it on?
If I was in your place, I wouldn't modify the two 5000 ish serial ones, just get them into playing shape! Not many Bueschers that early still around. If you indeed found a second really early one, I'd want to see it-is it also a C Melody?

Edit: also; on what you said in post 19-they definitely started serials before 5000-I've seen photos of several with lower numbers than that. (And I have photos saved from various sources of saxes 434 (earlier in the thread in the SaxQuest link) and 11xx, and Cornets in the ranges of 6x, 7x, 3xx, 6xx, and 34xx, all of which I can send or link to if you want.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Are the pre 5000 sax Buescher manufacturing or Buescher band instruments ?
If these aren鈥檛 really worth anything I may still do something with them , I鈥檓 not really out anything .
The top one is 5999 and bottom one is 74xxx, I havnt got to see 53xx with my eyes yet but should be able to have a look at it within a week.
Thank you guys for all of your help !!

Registered
Are the pre 5000 sax Buescher manufacturing or Buescher band instruments ?
If these aren鈥檛 really worth anything I may still do something with them , I鈥檓 not really out anything .
The top one is 5999 and bottom one is 74xxx, I havnt got to see 53xx with my eyes yet but should be able to have a look at it within a week.
Thank you guys for all of your help !!
Ohh, sorry, I didn't understand you entirely then. I don't have pictures of the engraving on all of them, but I'm pretty sure that the 34xx one had the same engraving as a 1910s Buescher, as did a 28xx cornet on ebay a couple of years ago. (They really made a lot of cornets then, apparently!)
Like Maddenma said farther up on the page-not worth much, but very interesting!
The late 20s engraving on this one is odd; though-maybe they just had a body tube sitting around for 20 years until they engraved and sold it? I've seen photos of a Buescher Sopranino engraved as an Aristocrat model, with a 190xxx serial, so they probably did keep a stock of random parts saved up! http://www.vintagesax.com/soprano.html (it's the third one on here.) I don't see why they would keep a C-Melody body around that long, if they did, though-that's a bit odd as C mels were really popular in the post ww1 era. (I'm going to check in the earliest Buescher catalog I know of for a C-Mel to see if it's pretty close to yours.
Edit: Hmm-catalog doesn't have an illustration of a C-Melody, just (curved) soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone. Interestingly, at least three of the four have an alternate F# on the back of the horn-maybe what I thought about it possibly being used later is true; although it could just be they used the same photos as they did a few years before.
Link: http://www.horn-u-copia.net/library.shtml
oldest in that is 1909, saxophones are on the last page.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That is an awesome link to the catalog, now I want to find more , it鈥檚 kind of like an Easter egg hunt !!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts