Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1906 Buescher True Tone #5999

Found an old Buescher Bb Tenor , the serial number is 5999 , it is in fair to good condition, my question is would it be worth restoring ?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
If you want to keep it, perhaps. I had one from 1918, it sounded great. Depends on if you can be satisfied with the less ergonomic layout.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Well, do you want to play it or sell it? If it's the latter, it might not be worth that much, although I've never seen a Buescher Sax this early being sold before. (and similarly, don't know how it will play)
Any chance you can send some pictures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I’m going to keep it , i was going to make a custom horn with it but it’s the last 5xxx numbered Buescher instrument and from what I’ve found the records start at 5000, and the ones before that were lost in a fire.

I do have pictures of it , I havnt seen another early one with the engraving like this one .
does anyone know where the Buescher records are at ?
It would be interesting to see how many saxophones were made in the 05-06 years!

Well, do you want to play it or sell it? If it's the latter, it might not be worth that much, although I've never seen a Buescher Sax this early being sold before. (and similarly, don't know how it will play)
Any chance you can send some pictures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is silver plate , fairly tarnished but not worn through, it does have a dent on the bow from the guard being hit , most of my pics are on my computer but I do have the serial number pic on my phone.

Please post photos- Is it brass or silver plate? I would love to see this horn.

All best in 2019!!![IMGclass=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/e5008569.gif[/IMG]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,910 Posts
It is silver plate , fairly tarnished but not worn through, it does have a dent on the bow from the guard being hit , most of my pics are on my computer but I do have the serial number pic on my phone.
Welcome to SOTW.
Keep the pictures coming this is a fascinating Horn. Very low number. https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers
Whatever you do don’t clean it until you know exactly what you’re doing.
Value, you’re not going to make car payment with it. Keep it. Do you play?
Would love to hear the “found” story.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,

It’s kind of funny how I “ran into this horn” , I make composite parts and have owned a business for 15 years.
I decided I needed a hobby so I wasn’t in my shop 20 hrs a day 😂 , I decided to buy a studio and start messing around with it on the side.
I have been collecting musical instruments and am really into saxophones , I did play at one time and just may start again (need another hobby😂).
I am having custom horns made for the studio and wanted the oldest thing I could find and not spend 10k to “cut up” a horn.
This one was going to be called The 4TA “forte”, take a True Tone Horn , make the keywork like an aristocratic with an underslung neck like a 400.
I have another one but not anywhere close to this number,it’s in the 1xx,xxx range so I may use that one for this project .
I’m also having other horns done like a King K-20 soprano Trumpet, some cool trombones , a really custom sousaphone, and a few more sax projects
I will get some more pics of it when I get back to my shop, I’m out on a field trip right now 😁

Welcome to SOTW.
Keep the pictures coming this is a fascinating Horn. Very low number. https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers
Whatever you do don’t clean it until you know exactly what you’re doing.
Value, you’re not going to make car payment with it. Keep it. Do you play?
Would love to hear the “found” story.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think I’m going to keep it , i was going to make a custom horn with it but it’s the last 5xxx numbered Buescher instrument and from what I’ve found the records start at 5000, and the ones before that were lost in a fire.

I do have pictures of it , I havnt seen another early one with the engraving like this one .
It would be interesting to see how many saxophones were made in the 05-06 years!
I've been told that they were lost before 1905. Does the engraving say "Buescher Mfg Co" like this one? www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/651

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS thanks for the link , looks like the after fire Numbers are 2500 and up, is there a way to find the records of how many of each instrument was made ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That link doesn’t work , it’s kind of like your avatar with Elkhardt-Ind on the same line and USA under that

I've been told that they were lost before 1905. Does the engraving say "Buescher Mfg Co" like this one? www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/651

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can’t get any of the 2500 and up pics to load on the museum website, it says call when I try to veiw them ?

·
3,910 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is where I got the 5000 from , I would like to know how to find more information on these early horns .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It works on yours , it’s not one of those ones ,I wish it was !!

That link doesn’t work , it’s kind of like your avatar with Elkhardt-Ind on the same line and USA under that
That link worked ok for me. Same site I posted. Try this copy. https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/651
As for source of actual production on each model I am unknowledged. May take a few days for the real experts to chime in with that answer.

·
3,910 Posts
I would like to know how to find more information on these early horns .
Lol, you’re here. This site has a massive archive. It takes time to learn how to use though. It’s a 20+ year collection!
Also the title of your thread is not attracting a large Buescher audience. PM Pete Thomas (administrator)maybe on a better title suggestion and help changing it. Think how would you search, would you type in SN 6995 as a subject?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s a good idea, thank you , I know this place is packed full of awesome information , I have thought of doing a spreadsheet like search for instruments but it would take me forever 😂

I would like to know how to find more information on these early horns .
Lol, you’re here. This site has a massive archive. It takes time to learn how to use though. It’s a 20+ year collection!
Also the title of your thread is not attracting a large Buescher audience. PM Pete Thomas (administrator)maybe on a better title suggestion and help changing it. Think how would you search, would you type in SN 6995 as a subject?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like the search for more information has hit a wall, there are no records of how many of each instrument was made in those years, from what information I was told the records were destroyed years ago .
What I did pick up is Buescher band numbers start at 5000 witch would make this horn the 999th instrument made under the Buescher band instrument name, so that’s kind of cool .

·
3,910 Posts
If you post some pictures your audience may be able to offer you some information. The keys,pinky table, the configuration of the post by the palm keys all tell something of its makeup. Not to mention the engraving or other features. Look under the right hand palm keys. You may find a matching serial number under one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ll post some pics when I get back to my shop , I’m still out wandering around the countryside looking for another “barn find “.
I really appreciate all of the help I have gotten to try to dig up as much information on this as possible , I learn something new every day !!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts