Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite sometime I've been searching for a smooth jazz play along book similar to Aebersold's straight ahead jazz books. I finally found one.

There is a book put out by Hal Leonard. It comes with a CD just like the Aebersold book. I recognized the tunes the moment I heard them. They're very contemporary and can be heard on any given current day smoothjazz station. The tunes range from "Just the two of us" to "Give me the night", "Street life", Kenny G's "Songbird" to "George Benson's "Masquerade" and more.

It's designed for Bb, Eb and C instruments. There are actually 3 sections of the same tunes just like the Aebersold books are outlined.

There are two versions of each tune. First it plays the full track with a trumpet playing the melody. The track following that is one without the melody where the sax could play. Each tune has extra choruses for soloing.

This is a must have for those of you who like me are more attracted to smooth jazz than traditional jazz. This could be used on gigs to spice things up a bit. The tunes sound very full and similar to what's heard on a smooth jazz station.

If you're interested it's at http://www.halleonard.com/item_deta...fer=search&type=product&keywords=smooth+jazz+

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Looks good - i like the pdf and mp3 samplers they've put on the website - and cheaper than the usual book / CD combo to boot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
There is also an Abersold Sanborn book.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts