Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY

I responded to a couple e-mailers regarding a few old French-made horns. There had been some talk that some horns labeled "Boiste" aren't made by Pierret (as has been the best theory), but SML. I still say that the Boiste horns look too much like Pierrets not to be -- and they don't have SML serial numbers and do have microtuners AND they match up pretty good with Pierret serial numbers and designs.

HOWEVER, I have been sent pics of a horn clearly labeled "SML" that looks like a Rene Guenot design.

LINKY to da SML

The nailfile chromatic F# and G# are major hallmarks of Guenot designs.

My theory, based on the fact that this horn has no S/N and that it's so beat up, that it was produced FOR SML before SML produced their own saxophones. (It has been suggested that SML concentrated on other instruments for the first couple years after they were founded in 1935.)

If you, or someone you know, has a Rene Guenot horn with single-side bell keys, I'd like to see lotsa pics for comparison.

PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY PRELIMINARY

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tenor Maurice Boiste

Pete said:
I responded to a couple e-mailers regarding a few old French-made horns. There had been some talk that some horns labeled "Boiste" aren't made by Pierret (as has been the best theory), but SML. I still say that the Boiste horns look too much like Pierrets not to be -- and they don't have SML serial numbers and do have microtuners AND they match up pretty good with Pierret serial numbers and designs.
I with the debates the photographs of a Boiste tenor who has just been remakes and who has at the same time of Pierret, Beaugnier and the SML, isn't this pours?
http://web.mac.com/mjean2/Passions/Ténor_Boiste.html
and
http://gallery.mac.com/mjean2/100026
(in double clicking on a photograph one can download it)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Can you shed any light on my Coleman Hawkins Special having a serial # of 2305? It appears to be a Rev. A based on left hand bell keys but the serial # is considerably lower they your earliest stated number for the run of 3250.
Just curious. This horn is not and will not be for sale.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts