Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Nice! Looks like a real player! :)

I assume it's not gold-plate and it's in about the 12xxx serial range?

My guess (only because of briefly researching the SML marketplace recently) would be that if it's got some decent leftside bell engraving and the pads have some life in them you might get around $1000-1200. Only a guess. Someone who tries it in person might go a lot higher.
I love the patina! Just lovely!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Nice! Looks like a real player! :)

I assume it's not gold-plate and it's in about the 12xxx serial range?

My guess (only because of briefly researching the SML marketplace recently) would be that if it's got some decent leftside bell engraving and the pads have some life in them you might get around $1000-1200. Only a guess. Someone who tries it in person might go a lot higher.
I love the patina! Just lovely!
Absolutely! seems to me that a fantastic piece of work like that should be worth so much more than the market is saying right now. Keep it if you can!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't sell it for 1000$ or 1200$... It's much more better then horns in that price range :) Thanks! I'm waiting for a best offer.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Remember $1000 - 1200 was my VERY conservative and amateur estimate based on what's moving out there at the moment.
Unfortunately, rleitch is totally correct in saying that the market for these horns isn't truly reflective of the SML quality and tone. People who want a huge French vintage sound are mostly blinded by Selmer and Buffet (not a surprising thing) and overlook makes like SML, Dolnet etc.

That's why I say sell it for a higher price to a SML-wise player who can try it out in person - 'cos its a beautiful horn.
Personally, I'd hang onto it! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness - John Keats

A beautiful alto, try not to short-change youself.

Memories may intestify in hindsight so tread wisely. Don't be impatient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts