Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what one of these typically goes for nowadays? The model I'm interested in is the one with all the bells and whistles,.. rocking thumb rest, the deluxe engraving on the pants guard and on the inner bell lip etc. I am looking at one with original lacquer with a couple visible solder repairs (strap ring and neck brace). Otherwise plays OK and looks pretty good.

It's something I'd like to try, but if I decided after a few weeks that it is not for me I would like to be able to get my investment back out of it. The only models I see on recent Ebay auctions have been the 2nd generation of these after they lost the fancy engraving and other deluxe features.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Prices are very different in different parts of the world , but I should think that a lacquered one (relatively rare in Europe where silverplate and nickelplate models where more abundant) in playing state should not cost less than €2500 in a private sale (add another €1000 in a shop sale).

But thinks could be more expensive in the US. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,706 Posts
I think that is about right in both areas.

I see nice examples run in that price range.

I think you would be hard pressed to sell an average looking model for 3K

I could be wrong but if you are trying to cut your losses and test the horn dont go overboard.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input folks.

So the Gold Medal 1 with the full enchilada of features is valued significantly more than the series 2 models that became more watered down? I see really nice examples of the Later series 2 tenors going for under 2K.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I missed out on one of these horns locally last year going for just $150. Still crying over that one. I've still yet to play an SML. :cry:

·
38,811 Posts
Thanks for the input folks.

So the Gold Medal 1 with the full enchilada of features is valued significantly more than the series 2 models that became more watered down? I see really nice examples of the Later series 2 tenors going for under 2K.
they don’t here in the NL, both have similar prices

·
7,904 Posts
Was there a series one and two in the SML Gold medals?
I thought that was just the King Marigaux SML made horns.
You should look also for a later SML rev D which is identical to the Gold medal but usually a little cheaper as it doesn’t have the Gold medal engraving.
Or if it’s the sound you’re after, the earlier rev A and B models are amazing.
Over here they don’t come up too often, but Milandro’s price guide is probably pretty close once you do a conversion.

·
12,706 Posts
King Marigaux are SML and there is a 1 and a 2 version but if I recall neither have rolled tone holes. They also have fewer features.
...but Id sure wouldnt sneeze at one.

·
7,904 Posts
I thought rolled tone holes were one of the 22 features of the “Gold Medal” models.
If they don’t have rolled tone holes, can they still be considered Gold medal?

·
Registered
790 Posts
The GM II's still have the Gold Medal engraving but straight toneholes. Also other features became more 'optional' and/or less used on them during the production run. The KM's are more or less the same as the GM II and can also be found with more or less features. I have a later silver KM, fixed LH thumbrest, non-operational adjustment screws on the stacks (they are there, but the holes and threading don't go all the way so the screws just sit in there). They can probably be found in lots of configurations and the KM's mostly being cheaper then the GM's.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that is about right in both areas.

I see nice examples run in that price range.

I think you would be hard pressed to sell an average looking model for 3K

I could be wrong but if you are trying to cut your losses and test the horn dont go overboard.
I'm going to take a closer look at this tomorrow and decide whether or not to pull the trigger. I'm a little concerned about the evidence of repair work on the neck and strap ring. Here are some pictures. The neck has lacquer loss around the neck brace and tenon and it appears that both have been re-soldered. It looks like a clean re-solder and I see absolutely no evidence that the neck tube was pulled down or mis-shapened in any way. I also noticed the strap ring has been re-solders and it may not be an original strap ring.

I'm wondering if these two things significantly lower the values that you and Milandro estimated. As you can see this is an early Gold Medal with the extensive engraving that doesn't seem to be very common judging from my research.

I'm just trying to be cautious because if I buy this I will have to re-sell it or sell my other tenor before tax time in April.

·
38,811 Posts
The neck “ resolder” may be original, also my King Marigaux, at first, I thought may have been resoldered but wasn’t.

I think that your horn certainly belongs to the “ good ones” and would be offered, in overhauled state by a good shop for at least €3000 ( would have been more if absolutely perfect) which doesn’t mean that it would sell quickly.

I have been witnessing a constant slowing down of the sales of horns like Buffet, SML, King, but even Conn models like 30M. They do sell, but it takes a really long time.

Congratulations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts