Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wanna sell his SML tenor serial no: 162xx
Good condition, just repaded. No dings and dents not even dents repair, smooth. Lacquer 95%. (original silver, not sure whether its plated or silver lacquer but its original)

i know some people will ask for pictures, he got no digital camera, I will help him take some pictures next week as i will be going on holiday on monday. As soon as i got the pics, i'll post them here.

Questions:
How much is the realistic value he can get?He's thinking of selling it for $3000. I told him he is dreaming but who knows...

note; the title should be SML gold medal not label...

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
He's not dreaming. He must have a feel for the market because, though that price is on the high side, minty Gold Medals have been going in the $2,500-$3,000 range for the last couple of years. In fact, a fully refurbished silver GM sold for $3,500 about a year ago on ebay. The problem is that this Forum is largely inhabited by hobbyists who feed on fads (ever heard of GAS?--Gear Acquisition Syndrome). And the SML fad started winding down about 3 years ago, after hitting its peak about 4 or 5 years ago. Back then, all you had to do was post a message about your SML and you would receive numerous email offers. I'm not joking; just go back and check out the Forum's SML archives. The good news for buyers is that you now have a chance to own one of these fabulous rare horns again. The bad news for sellers is that the prices have cooled a little. But they're still going for a lot more than they were 10 years ago--and justly so. I own an SML stencil (tenor) called the King Marigaux. It's a wonderful horn very reminiscent of a 1960s Selmer Mark VI, but with a bigger low end. And I love this horn even more since I found out that Sam Rivers played one for most of his career. For those who think SML's have clunky keywork (their main--unjust IMO--crticism), just check out how nicely Sam seemed to get around on his SML:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHt0dPiR_sQ

I know the video is c***** quality (there were some better ones of Sam available about a week ago that suddenly vanished), but does anyone know if that's a GM or a Rev. D he's got there?

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent heard of GAS but I understand what you mean and I am not surprised as sax is a musical instrument with great cook appearance, not to mention the sensational voice.

I am not buying his gold medal because I dont have that much money as i just bought 875ex tenor.

I will tell him this and maybe he wanna sell it through this forum.

Who wanna pay $3000 for a gold medal SML tenor here??:D (i'll get commision for sure yipee)

BTW, that is a good link there, I love the sound of his horn. I am also wondering if thats a gold medal or rev d he got there

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
If you wish to sell a sax, go back to the home page of the Forum, go the Marketplace, and read the rules before you post!

Good luck.

To tell you the truth, though, there are a lot of tire kickers on here. You might get the highest price on ebay. Case in point: A guy recently ran a Marketplace ad on here for a Buffet SDA soprano (another fine French sax), and no one took him up on his offer for $1,400. When he listed it on ebay a few days later, he sold it for almost $2,000!

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swingtone said:
If you wish to sell a sax, go back to the home page of the Forum, go the Marketplace, and read the rules before you post!

Good luck.

To tell you the truth, though, there are a lot of tire kickers on here. You might get the highest price on ebay. Case in point: A guy recently ran a Marketplace ad on here for a Buffet SDA soprano (another fine French sax), and no one took him up on his offer for $1,400. When he listed it on ebay a few days later, he sold it for almost $2,000!
yeah but the ebay fee + paypal fee are not cheap too. I'll ask him if he wants I can help him sell it under ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts