Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I'd ask this question but I picked a pair of SML and Marigaux pins (promotional/novelty items I guess for dealers, etc.).

One has a pair of oboes and 'Marigaux' in big letters across the instruments
The other has a straight soprano and tenor sax and 'Yanagisawa' in big letters across the instruments and the SML logo in the upper right-hand corner.

sml_yanagisawa_marigaux.jpg

I know Marigaux made/make great oboes so that's straightforward but what was the SML / Yanagisawa connection???
The Yanagisawa lettering doesn't looks embossed or as resolute as the Marigaux lettering does so was this possibly over-printed at a later date? And did Yani ever make straight sops?
Once they arrive I'll give them a closer study... but does anyone know of any SML and Yani connection?

Cheers,
V

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer my own question I found this info at SaxPics:

SML [at the time of writing, July 1997] makes oboes, English horns, oboe d'amore, musettes (small bagpipes) and clarinets. It also has an import/export business that distributes the products of Yanagisawa, Rico, Vandoren, Otto Link, Berg Larsen and other companies.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/SML/thestory.html

So this pin was probably original an SML pin and they've modified it for their Yani distributors to get a bit of extra mileage out of it since the SML saxes were no longer being manufactured or sold.

V

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sweat dude, clearly I know zip about Asian saxes

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,066 Posts
the SML ( before it was sold into several companies a few years ago) company was the Importer, in France and for many European countries, of Yanagisawa, there is no commercial connection other than this.

They never shared any technical things or models or anything else than this.

I’ve personally visited the main office in Paris at the famous adress 144 Bld de La Villette where I met Roland Miane, a true gentleman in the trade he introduced me to the company that he was directing because at the time I was working in a a commercial capacity in the musical instruments’s trade and that’s how I know about SML being the importer in France for Yanagisawa.

Now the office is occupied by Marigaux (the SML brand , only the name, is owned by a chain of music shops and other brands, like B&S became independent like Marigaux)

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/14...b30c682224c2d7c8!8m2!3d48.8793842!4d2.3705517

1 - 7 of 7 Posts