Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Shut up and practice

Votes: 9 40.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whatever reason, I see many SML saxes being re-plated with silver. More so than other brands. I know Worldwide Sax does this often. Is this just a fad or is SML with silver plate sax nirvana? I have a re-laq Rev D tenor I think would be cool to redo in silver. So I gotta know what other SMLers thoughts are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,540 Posts
I think the whole silver plate gig is a bit of a fad but not an altogether bad one. If I were to care what a horn looked like (and I for one do), and it was ugly I would choose to plate rather than to relacquer. On the other hand Id rather have gold since silver tarnishes far too quickly and Im a lazy bum! I would not silver plate a good looking horn for the sake of it. In the end, when the fad passes, I think they will be viewed in much the same light as relacqs....after all, from a vintage standpoint (If you care) its no longer original.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the SML for just $500 and did have some work done it, but it's still not perfect. I was thinking I'd get it completely overhauled. So why not do silver was a thought.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Horn vendors wouldn't be doing it unless they could make significantly more money selling a plated vintage horn than one with a grungy original finish. Bear in mind having a horn plated typically requires as much preparatory buffing as re-lacquering, so there is a chance -- depending on who does the prep work -- you'll lose more base metal than the ultra-thin layer added by plating. Also, plating won't do anything predictable for the sound.... If I wanted to have a horn re-finished, though, I'd probably have a clear-coat lacquer applied as well, for extra protection and less maintenance.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wind.miller said:
Horn vendors wouldn't be doing it unless they could make significantly more money selling a plated vintage horn than one with a grungy original finish. Bear in mind having a horn plated typically requires as much preparatory buffing as re-lacquering, so there is a chance -- depending on who does the prep work -- you'll lose more base metal than the ultra-thin layer added by plating. Also, plating won't do anything predictable for the sound.... If I wanted to have a horn re-finished, though, I'd probably have a clear-coat lacquer applied as well, for extra protection and less maintenance.
Yeah, it's purely cosmetic. I'm under no illusions it'll change to sound. I guess stripping the base metal wouldn't do much good. I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
wind.miller said:
HOWEVER, no buffing is required if you get a bead blasted surface in which case a loss of base metal is not a concern.

·
Registered
393 Posts
wind.miller said:
If true, that's good to know, as I happen to like the bead-blasted or satin finishes more better.....
I can vouch for the results as it is the finish on my alto. I was concerned about metal loss and this is the approach I took. I stripped what was left of the original lacquer hand cleaned/polished the body, then had it bead blasted and silver plated. I did have the keys finished bright which did require buffing but I had the keys triple plated to try to offset any metal loss. I am very happy with the results and would do it again.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My alto is already silver plated, ans the tenor is nickel plated;

I do not plan to replate the tenor. The alto seems OK as it is, even if a new replate would give him some more shine;)

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
divisi said:
I can vouch for the results as it is the finish on my alto. I was concerned about metal loss and this is the approach I took. I stripped what was left of the original lacquer hand cleaned/polished the body, then had it bead blasted and silver plated. I did have the keys finished bright which did require buffing but I had the keys triple plated to try to offset any metal loss. I am very happy with the results and would do it again.
Yes hand-polishing would sound to be the best approach. If the plater is allowed to prep, there's a much bigger risk that horn will spend lots of time at the buffing wheel, whether the customer has chosen bead-blasted satin finish or not. I assume places like WWS and Vintage Sax etc. probably take the time to do the prep work (like you) before sending the bits off to the plater. It (the plating job) should be cheaper that way too ..... well, theoretically....at least for the horn vendor....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Satin

Satin silver... yes yes yes

With bright keys of course

HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,712 Posts
Do it!

And give it its own Lamberson acetal L7 and a silver F.L. lig, too. I'll leave neckstrap selection - the often ignored part of the tone equation - to you. ;)

No need for a partridge, or anything else, in a pear tree.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,712 Posts
Aren't you now regretting selling that horn, TJ? Ah, you could have been a contender - your sorry team might have won had you not lost the mojo... :twisted:

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dr G said:
Aren't you now regretting selling that horn, TJ? Ah, you could have been a contender - your sorry team might have won had you not lost the mojo... :twisted:
Nope, no regrets. I used the money to buy the CB Mad Meg I have now. I like that horn much better. Besides, I'm not smart enough to know when I should be sorry ;) As far as I'm concerned, they're all contenders

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Bump

tjontheroad said:
I don't know how this thread got bumped? My last post in it was back in April. I don't even have the SML anymore.
I take credit for the bump... I am pretty good about reviving or should I say not reviving old threads.

Merry Xmas
HUTMO

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,678 Posts
Don't damage greatness!

Ike webkins -

I was looking at your gear, and it just jumped at me: For baritone, you have a VI and for alto, you have a Rev. D. Wow, those are two respected and respectful horns, alright! But for soprano, you have a Selman curvie!

Right there, you destroy the greatness of your bari and alto, man!

This reminds me of an event William Bua told me last night: Branford Marsalis was hosting a musical show, and his guest happened to be Kenny G. And as the latter blew his so-called jazz while the former sat there enduring the pain of having to listen to it!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yellowhorn

your data are incomplete :D

Selmer : MkVI bari low Bb + Flamingo tenor (no high F#)

SML: Rev D alto and GM1 tenor (both ready for resale)

The selman is an ultra cheap (200€ including freight) curved sop, playing in tune, nice sound : this was just for "playing" with a sop in order to see if the sop is for me (for instance, even if the rev D alto has a tremendeous tone, the alto seems not to be for me...it seems that I am mainly a tenor player). It is also very convinient to have it with me in my car : very small:)

cheers;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts