Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting's All

Overview: I was always interested in the SML and one was posted for sale here on the forum, so I purchased it. Serial number 10002 places the horn about 1952. Now for the problem since picking her up in Jacksonville Fl. I place my leak light in the horn, and could see very minor leaks on the D-E cups, but they were not bad and I just wanted to hear what this baby would sound. The was described as recent overhaul, and the previous owner had purchased the horn from Quinn The Eskimo seller on Ebay.

The Problem: So, I started at our middle C and played the scale down and the horn played without any issues, but.... When I attempted to play the D-E-F- onward the SML started to buzz and would not play the note while applying the octave, unless I applied more pressure on the reed. So I attempted the next test... I applied my fingering for low D, and attempted to jump to high D with the octave key, but, the low D continued to play the low octave and would not play the D when pressing the octave key on and off. Is it a simple fix, or does it need to be seen by a tech repairman?

Advice: I believe the seller says that the horn has been sitting in the closet, how long... I don't know, and I need to learn to ask sellers if I could return the horn if not happy or like this, where the horn is posted as a wonderful player, but doesn't. In which case, should I ask for a refund and return the horn, ask that the seller repair the horn if I like it, or just have the repairs done where the horn plays the way it was supposed to and resale it. Thanks for any and all advice or suggestions that you may have. I be closely watching this thread for any answers to my questions. Thanks...

Philo

PS Is this the Rev. D Model. I know my Selmer Models, but the SML's am not familiar with.

Attachments

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
this is very likely something really minor, probably the activator of the top octave needs to be regulated (or the neck turned a little bit). I suspect that the neck octave key is slightly open and because of this the octave jumps.

Registered
this is very likely something really minor, probably the activator of the top octave needs to be regulated (or the neck turned a little bit). I suspect that the neck octave key is slightly open and because of this the octave jumps.
On the contrary, the OP says that the horn doesn't jump to the octave, even when it should be...
But yes, this problem will probably have an inexpensive solution.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Don鈥檛 forget that the neck receiver of the SML turns freely and you may easily put the neck in a wrong position.

On the contrary, the OP says that the horn doesn't jump to the octave, even when it should be...
But yes, this problem will probably have an inexpensive solution.

you are right, I missed that, nevertheless I think it may be something of that nature.

Registered
FrenchmkVI:
-do you also have problems with 2nd register A and higher ?
-when you finger a G and press/depress the octave key, does the body octave pad move ? and the neck octave pad ?
-if the body octave pad moves, the body octave pip may be blocked; if you can be trusted with a screwdriver, you can remove the body octave key and clean this pip.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guy's... :treble::line2:

Thanks you for advice and suggestions, you are all correct in assuming what the problem may be. So, I went ahead and dismantled the octave mechanism, and found the vent hole was a little clogged up from the horn sitting around for a while... about 10 years...lol. I cleaned out the vent and freed the rocker arms that work as two feature: 1. when you press the thumb octave key, that opens the necks pad, and 2. the rockers that open the G :line2: pad via the vent hole.

Freeing up the rockers that were a bit stiff in the swivel ports, enabled the rockers to move freely and thus help eliminate the problem, because now the SML is play beautifully, wow, what a tone, and it's intonation is fantastic. I knew Carmen Leggio in NYC, and he sponsored the SML in the late 50's and 60's. Myself and the JumpStart Big Band accompanied Mr. Leggio at the Helen Hayes Re-Hab facilities, where he performed Star Dust, what a big sound came of his forth from his SML Tenor.

Anyway, now, I'm playing on three different altos now, My SBA 51XXX, The Yanagisawa 9930, and my most recent find, The SML 10002, problem is that I will need to choose the one to keep, and may I add that the SML is in strong contention of me staying on the SML, and man, I'm a Selmer Man, but SML was started by former Selmer worker if I am not mistaken... The SML is in such beautiful shape for a 65 year old horn. Thanks again guys for all your help.

Philo :bluewink: :bass:

Attachments

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
Happy that worked out for you, Philo. You are going to love it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Mike... She's proving to live up to all that you and so many other have said. When I have time and so funds. I'm going to have her cleaned and fully adjusted to my liking, as some keys are too light and some too heavy under the fingers, but nothing I can't handle. Chat soon...

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts