Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the smallest hard case for an alto that has a separate storage for the neck? My current case uses a pouch that stores the neck in the bell. The octave pad has developed a leak because of where the neck was stored (the pad got compressed and deformed when it was stored inside the bell).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know if they are the smallest, but probably pretty close...Hiscox is the best I know of. Gator Contoured Deluxe is great for the price. Both are available at junkdude.com

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The Hiscox PRO II-WAS is fantastic for alto, very compact and protective, with a dedicated spot to store the neck.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Bam Softpack is smaller then most cases and had a spot for the neck. Most of the smaller contoured cases do not have a spot. This was a big desire for me as well as I wanted the bell to store mouthpieces and such.
I had a case before called Protech wood stone I think. These seem to be rare. It looks vintage and worked very well and did have the slot for the neck as you desire.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Bam Softpack is smaller then most cases and had a spot for the neck.
I agree with that. While I think the neck slot in their tenor case is a dangerous spot to have it in, I agree on the alto case it’s designed to keep it well protected.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
What is the smallest hard case for an alto that has a separate storage for the neck? My current case uses a pouch that stores the neck in the bell. The octave pad has developed a leak because of where the neck was stored (the pad got compressed and deformed when it was stored inside the bell).
Sure this isn't a function of the pouch design? I stored the neck in the bell for years (those old Roy Hyman/Selmer cases) on both alto and tenor and never experienced this problem. I used a (clean!) sock for a pouch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,943 Posts
Sure this isn't a function of the pouch design? I stored the neck in the bell for years (those old Roy Hyman/Selmer cases) on both alto and tenor and never experienced this problem. I used a (clean!) sock for a pouch.
Spot on, Steve.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'm sorry to be blunt, but if your neck developed a leak at the octave pad, it's because you weren't stowing it properly. You don't even need a pouch. All you have to do is wrap the neck in a hand-towel before stowing it in the bell. I've been doing that without any problem for nearly 40 years.

I keep my main alto in a Hiscox LiteFlite Pro II case — none better — but I reserve the separate compartment inside for bits and pieces, like mouthpieces, reeds, screwdrivers, sax sling, key oil etc. Why waste the space inside the bell, by leaving it empty ?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Hiscox is a very nice case but it is not compact.

I stored my neck in the bells of both alto and tenor for twenty years of constant use and never had a problem. What is the source of your opinion?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
I store a sax stand in the bell of my alto. Very convenient.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
In line with Mike T and gary's comments, check out the Kiwi in-bell neck pouch. It's a much cheaper solution to resolve your problem. I've been using them for 25 years on alto and tenor. Never had any issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts