Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it seems like standard alto ligature is too big for JJ classic alto and need a soprano ligature instead of a alto one. I was even told my my tech that a soprano Rovner will fit better on a JJ classic alto than a alto one.

I'm just wondering if other people have the same problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a student who recently bought a JJ classic for alto, which now comes with a Rico H lig. Unfortunately, the ligature doesn't seem to hold the reed parallel to the table, as it doesn't flex to shape like a regular 2-screw lig does. He's using 3 or 4 rubber bands at the moment, until something more suitable is found. I'd be interested in knowing which ligatures people use on these pieces as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
you could contact Marc Jean and have him custom size one for the JJ Classic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the end I got a Rovner MkIII soprano - somehow it fits perfectly on the JJ classic alto.

The Rovner MkIII alto its just too loose IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd be interested if anybody has more follow-up to this issue - I just got a JJ Classic and I'm not really loving the Rico H lig. I have a Rovner clarinet ligature that works, but I'd still like to have some more options (ideally a Francois Louis Pure Brass ligature, but I don't think those are available for clarinet).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I use the clarinet rovner lig on my classic alto piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
The JJ Classic is based on a Runyon Custom blank.

Most of the sizes for the JJ mouthpieces (listed on the Rovner site) are wrong. [rolleyes]

The Rovner site says the correct size for the alto Runyon Custom is the "1E" size (alto clarinet size)... that's is very close to the "1RVS" (standard ebonite soprano mouthpiece size).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts