Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our small private high school is on the search for a new musical to perform. The cast will likely be small (8 to 10 parts), pit will be based upon what we end up doing. To give an idea on size, our past few productions were Godspell, the Wizard of Oz, Footloose and Guys and Dolls, each production a bit smaller than the last (thanks economy). In general, our players are up to Junior College level productions. If any of you guys and gals have played in any smallish productions or have any ideas to investigate, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I just did HMS Pinafore with our Community Theater. It might be 'doable' with a small cast.
Our pit was minimal. Clarinet, trumpet, oboe, violin, flute, and one guy on percussion.
The pianist is phenominal so what we didn't have in instrumentation she was more than capable to cover the part.
Granted, this type of show isn't everyones' cup of tea so to speak. It is a bit hokey and 'out dated', but the music is kinda fun.

FWIW, It's been the only show where I've gotten to use my *A* clarinet. That made me more than a little happy. :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Fantastiks, Grease, Nunsense (although the cast is all female), Honk!, Once on this Island (ok, maybe a big challenge).

You might also consider Smokey Joe's Cafe, Five Guys Named Moe, and other 'Cabaret' style musicals

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Self deleted.... Computer had a brain fart.

·
Registered
259 Posts
CITY OF ANGELS can be done with a small cast, a small stage and if you do like my production of 2 years ago, with 1 reed, piano,bass and drums. Although a 2nd reed, a trumpet or 2 and a trombone would have filled out the sound a bit. It has a bit of adult content, a bit of strong language but nothing more than PG13, and even that could be modified.

http://www.tamswitmark.com/musicals/cityofangels.html

·
Registered
711 Posts
Urinetown (One reed book, one brass and rhythm section)

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
While these have been already suggested I think They are wise choices

GREASE - not the "best" musical out there in terms of theatrical substance, but everybody loves it. ALSO - Almost every time I have done it, it has "sold out" - (And I have performed it literally over a 100 times)

YOUR'E A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN - nice show for a small group

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
My high school did Charlie Brown with a four-person pit (flute, piano, bass, drums) and it sounded fine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas so far. We've done Grease but not the others, so we will need to look into them. Keep 'em coming!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Forever Plaid is another one. Also, there's Rocky Horror.

·
Clueless how he got this title
1,151 Posts
If I remember the name correctly there is a show called "Do Black Patent Leather Shoes really Reflect Up?", and it has a small cast and a small orchestra. The only thing is, it's a musical about a guy reliving his Catholic school education in the 1950s. It is a funny musical, but depending on your audience it may or may not work.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
'Suds' - saw this show in a Sacramento cabaret last year. They had three girl singers and one guy. They doubled up on some roles so you could work in some more singers. It tells the story through several dozen 60's girl band tunes. Really cute and a lot of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts