Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I tried the search button first, but found nothing specific...

I noticed (using a leak light) that the G# key on my JK SX90r (NS) is leaking a little bit when no keys are pressed or when the left hand keys are pressed down.
I haven't noticed anything wrong when playing. Could this small leak (pad is lifted approx. 0,3 mm parallel with the tone hole when normally the spring should close it fully) cause anything problematic on G?
G pops out fine. I assume it wouldn't affect A and higher because of the open G key.

Even F# and down to low Bb is no problem because of the mechanism that presses down the G# key fully. So no leaks when playing these bottom notes.

Could this leak have any influence other than on G, say the upper stack?

Should I have it fixed even when I have no problem playing the horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
The problem is probably that the small metal feet (do they they have a name? I don't know) under the G# lever (the part you press with your finger) are touching the low C# and/or the low B levers before the G# key (pad) closes completely. This and other small leaks might or might not affect how the instrument plays (in this case the G note). It might affect it and you don't even know because you are used to it. I suggest to get it fixed and if the problem is what I wrote (which can be fixed in several ways depending on what causes it) it is quick and very easy to fix so shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks clarnibass,

I figured it out. A small adjustment screw (leverage on the anti G# key sticky mechanism) got out of adjustment. A few turns with a screwdriver anti-clockwise and voila... Perfect again.

I did had some trouble when playing below G only when I had the G# key depressed: major leak syndrome!

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my old Mark VI tenor, that "thing" that holds down the g# key is the first place I look when I'm having trouble with the low notes. Unfortunately, on my sax, the adjustment screw heads are almost stripped and appear to have been "glued" in place . ( I've owned the horn since 1975 and that's the way it came) My repair guy is looking for replacement gizmo from an old junker horn, but no luck so far. What I have found to fix the siuation at least temprorarily, is to put 1 or 2 pieces of tape beneath the post that holds the g# key down. I'm always amazed at how that thickness of tape will put the horn back into playing shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts