Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go everywhere on my bike (I don't have a car and the bike is usually faster / more comfortable than public transport). I am currently using a hiscox case for my Mark VI tenor that I sling over my back. It gets tricky if I need sheet music or a laptop as well. Another problem is that, when slung over the back, the hiscox case is a good bit broader then me on my bike. So in traffic and when overtaking other bikers on the narrow bike lanes here, I constantly have to watch out for the case, especially since it has some room to move from left to right and back during sharper turns. I had a Protec contoured case for a while, but that had horrible temperature isolation. When driving to my practice room or to gigs in the winter, the sax always got very cold and it took a long time to get it warm enough to intonate properly again. I don't have this problem with the hiscox.
Is there a case that is better suited for biking and as a good temperature isolation?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Any kind of case with a single strap that you sling over is likely to have that problem od swinging left to right. Quite dangerous as you could easilyn lose your balance and break both the saxophone and yourself.

I would think the ideal would be a rucksack type case like the Ortola.

Various rucksack type cases:

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/saxophone_cases_and_gig_bags.html

http://www.tomandwill.com/productdetail.asp?productid=36TS-387

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-MX304...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6VTSZGAC0T2QWHP89K9K

Maybe get a large (trekking type) rucksack that the horn case would fit into, that would be safer and possibly you could add some extra heat insulation around it inside the rucksack.

I'm not sure about any cases actually designed for heat insulation, but the more padding (there is (designed more for protection) would also insulate a bit. However it shouldn't take very long for a cold instrument to warm up to room tempearture anyway, being metal.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I cycle around London with my mkvi alto all the time, I've always used a Selmer lite case (one of the earlier grey ones). The straps hold it tight against my back and I can fit a laptop and a ton of stuff in there. In terms of heat insulation, I imagine it would be as good as anything, the foam is quite thick.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You're probably doing as well as you are going to do with the case itself. It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes for the horn to warm up once the case is opened in a warm space. I'd be more worried about what the temperature cycling is doing to the glues and shellacs that effect the regulation of my horn.

I'd either get a custom case cover made to add an extra layer of insulation outside the case or I'd get a small heating source to put inside with the horn. The old charcoal-stick hand warmers are small and light and throw off a ton of heat if it's really cold. However, I'd probably start with one of the battery powered hand warmers that also double as a phone charger. You can get these on Amazon for under $20. A pair of battery powered heated socks stuff down the bell would likely work as well.

Remember that an extra layer of insulation will only slow the time it takes the horn to cool down a bit. A heavier coat works well for a person because your body is making heat naturally. If you want to keep an object warm for any length of time when it's very cold out you need a heat source of some kind.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one of those electrical hand warmers until my sister stole it. I never needed it when keeping my sax in the hiscox case though. Even after 20+min at around 0°C the sax still has normal room temperature when I take it out. Maybe I should just get a case cover with backpack straps, if I can't find a better case...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Another option is to add extra strap rings to the case so you can use backpack straps. I added two extra rings on the hinge side of my Hiscox and bought a pair of clip on backpack straps. Much more comfy as the weight is now evenly distributed over both shoulders. Plus the case then hangs vertically so you don't keep crashing into doorways etc. I got this idea after seeing others players using the Bam case with backpack straps and thought to myself; what if?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts