Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a microphone, to do some recordings at home and to amp my sax live. I only really have about 150$ to spare, and want to save some of it for future usage.

For a guy who has been playing for about 3 years, has no recording experience, who will be using the mic for both sax and vocals, should I bite it and get the SM or should I buy a PG?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Thinking about getting a microphone, to do some recordings at home and to amp my sax live. I only really have about 150$ to spare, and want to save some of it for future usage.

For a guy who has been playing for about 3 years, has no recording experience, who will be using the mic for both sax and vocals, should I bite it and get the SM or should I buy a PG?
The SM 57 is a workhorse. The PG is a child's toy.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts

I got 2 57's secondhand for $100. They work fine.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
There are better and worse mics than the SM57 but it remains the gold standard. It's robust and reliable and suits both the sax and vocals. New they are reasonably priced. Secondhand they're usually pretty cheap and available.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I personally like the SM58 better for saxophone. SM57 works better on electronic instruments. If you're going to use it for vocals also, I'd go with the SM58.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I personally like the SM58 better for saxophone.
Does the 58 have more even/flat response? I have an SM57 and an AT Pro 37R lipstick condensor as well. The SM57 has a noticable spike in the mid-range, which isn't bad if your playing with a rock band.

I'd rather have something with a flatter response myself, so I always use the AT condensor. It's also lighter when clipped on my bell. But, those SM57s are very sturdy/durable.

If you like Shure, they also have some condensors with cardiod pickup, flat response, and good high end. Those are the qualities I'd look for. My AT mic (i've seen them for sale, but believe it's discontinued) was a lot cheaper than an SM98, and has worked out nicely.

Shawn

ps: I use that mic (no eq) with a NAK BX-1 for all my TOTM recordings.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Get the SM57. But if you want anything that comes close to reproducing your natural sound, the SM57 will be extremely disappointing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I've had my 57 for +35 years. Bullet proof.
One of my SM57's broke after about 15 years and Shure replaced the capsule for free - other than that, I, too, could say that I've had my 57 for 35+ years.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
According to my friend turnaround, the sm57 is the recording engineer's equivalent of a pencil.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Wow those are cheap...but do they really compare to the SM57's?
They do much more than any Shure SM series I have ever recorded or used live and they come with on/off switches which are nice when you get feedback and need to shut it off quickly in a live situation.

GLS has very good products.

B

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GLS has very good products.
Too bad...they don't ship to Canada apparently. And I'm skeptical about buying online. I got a fake SM57...one of the reasons I have such a low budget. Took it apart last night and found Chinese newspaper stuffed in it. I mean come on at least use English newspaper so everyone can read it. (The other reason is a new sop mouthpiece :p)

Anyways, if I decided to get the SM57, should I get a preamp with that? Keeping in mind that I have a low budget, should I just bypass that and use my onboard audio card?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Your onboard audio card will need an XLR input to accept the cable from the SM57. I doubt the standard PC audio card has that. You'll need some thing like a Tascam US-200 or I believe you can buy and interface box to convert the XLR from the mic to and audio plug that will match up with your sound card.

Diskman50

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,930 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts