Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm currently building-up my equipement. I'd like to have 1 or 2 all-rounders, to use at home but also at gigs, for saxes and brasswinds.
A local dealer is currently offering special prices on the 3 above mentionned mikes.
Which to choose if only 1, and which 2 (if budget lasts, there are other items on the list) ?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just 1- beta 57 or sm58

2 - sm57 and sm58

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
For sax - The sm 57 - -the 58 is the same mic with a different patten and does double duty as a vocal mic. It kinda depends on your needs. The Beta's are good but the extra money you spend can be put towards another purchase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
beta 57 is my current choice but it is the man/lady who man the soundboard is even more important. :)
if 2, beta 57 & 57

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
2 SM57s

The Beta 57A is a supercardiod mic, which I am not the largest fan in stage use b/c they have a tendency to feedback a little easier than the cardiod pattern of the SM57. Of course, as bkobog pointed out, it really is up to the engineer in the end.

The Beta is a great mic, but it is just about impossible to beat the ruggedness, sound quality, & versatility of the SM57. Unless we are talking the SM58, which is the same capsule as a 57, but has a different frequency response.

Put an SM57/58 underwater for a couple of hours, dry it out, & you still have a fantastic, fully working mic that wil last a lifetime. Or 2-3...

Unidyne III until the day I die, baby!!! Woooo!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I us the Sure beta 98 clip on (non-wireless) Great mic

·
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, a bunch of answers to compile. There WILL be a SM-57, second one is still open...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
At a reduced price point of around $100 there is the Heil Sound PR-20. These are large diaphragm dynamics with little to no proximity effect and great rear-axis rejection.

I have used these mics and they sound STELLAR on WWs and Brass, almost ribbon-like.

If you do not know of Bob Heil, you should Google him. He is an audio & electronics genius.

Of course, the MD441 MKII is the be all - end all mic for saxophone. But it is not anywhere near $100. If it was I'd own at least two.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks guys, a bunch of answers to compile. There WILL be a SM-57, second one is still open...
If you want two different mics, I say go with one 58 and one 57. This will give you some sonic options.

The Beta 57A is a little bright for my tastes, but I prefer darker sounding mics. I tend to roll off high end as it is.

·
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the Heil Sound hint. Pretty unknown around here, I'll have to check their german dealer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, I also have a clip-on AKG C-409. Not a fan in straight ahead jazz settings, as I double on clarinet. Fine for fusion. I also have a ... dead SM-58.
Thanks for all your input. Great place.

·
6,862 Posts

·
6,862 Posts
I have an e835...do you use it for a sax mic? Maybe I'll give it a try!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
^ I use a clip on mic most of the time for my sax, except for a few exceptions when I have used the e835 (since I record our gigs, I get a good listen). Our covers band has used four e835 vocal mics for the last 7 years for our singers. If I were to use a mic on a stand for my sax, I would use the e835 over a 57/58 for the reasons above.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Every time I have used a e835 on stage, I have had more problems with feedback.

The proximity effect of the SM57/58 can be corrected with 3-6 db of reduction @ 80 hz and/or engaging the low cut.

·
5,092 Posts
Never had abnormal feedback problems with the Beta 57, and I think it does a great job reproducing the horn's sound. I actually like the proximity effect because in situations where I actually NEED a live mic, I'm generally hamming it up anyway, so honking out the low Bb's is for good effect. LOL. I will say I haven't mic-ed my horn with the Beta since I got my DPA clip-on, but that's a different kind of budget.

·
6,831 Posts
I actually compared my Shure SM57 next to my clip on AKG C419, and the AKG kicked butt over the Shure...for Rock and Funk :) . For Jazz, the Shure sure was better :) . Not as loud, but more pure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts