1. go to www.keepvid.com
2. put in the address of the YT file and wait for KeepVid to offer you versions
3. download the highest quality version of the file - usually an mp4
4. save this and open it in an audio editing program
5. use the speed control window to slow it down

·
Registered
545 Posts
I never thought to slow down a recording to transcribe things. That would make everything so much easier. It doesnt really matter for me though because I really have no way of doing that kinda stuff anyways. I gotta get a good computer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tried the Keepvid and turned the file into a MP3 because my little Boss micro br doesnt do mp4. It worked great. The boss has a slow down and loop feature on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,289 Posts
Makes sense - You're right about all the great stuff on u-tube too. There's a bunch of learning tools too like lessons and stuff. There's an app for that of course. I use Robick for the iphone to slow stuff down. It seems to work fine for anything in your itunes library as long as 50% slower is acceptable...

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just noticed it said something about an add free version. I didn't get all the way through my download so I'm not sure if keepvid put some audio add in my dowload. Do you use the free version paul? whats the deal with add free verses the free version?

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far this keepvid thing has me drooling. It basically opens the door to turn all your favorite youtube vids into straight audio files that you can keep on your hard drive. So to not be a straight pirate I will only do this to live versions of songs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would do the following:

1. go to www.keepvid.com
2. put in the address of the YT file and wait for KeepVid to offer you versions
3. download the highest quality version of the file - usually an mp4
4. save this and open it in an audio editing program
5. use the speed control window to slow it down
This is the first I've heard of this site....looking forward to trying it. The apps I've downloaded for this purpose have worked poorly. It would be great if this works better!

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I normally just record it using Audacity then I open up the audio file in Transcribe!
That transcribe program rocks. I'm going to use it to learn tunes in all 12 keys. Thanks for the good info guys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys, I used to use keepvid but I find Freecorder much easier. It sits in your browser and records any video you watch and then allows you to save it as an FLV file and convert it to all sorts of files- MP3, MP4, MPEG et cetera. You can then use Windows Media Player to slow down the MP3. Freecorder was designed to work in Windows but I believe it also works on MAC with some other software installed. Anyway, just another alternative.
http://www.applian.com/freecorder5/

·
Registered
790 Posts
I also use Freecorder to convert to MP3. Slowing down and/or change playback pitch I use Best Practice.

·
2,870 Posts
I normally just record it using Audacity then I open up the audio file in Transcribe!
Why don't you just slow it down in audacity? Audacity is free and transcribe isn't

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Why don't you just slow it down in audacity? Audacity is free and transcribe isn't
True, but I also use Transcribe because it's not only quicker and easier than Audacity, it sounds better.

The sleek geeks here might be able to shed some light on the reason why, but I'm guessing it has something to do with whichever slow down algorithm the program uses to maintain pitch whilst slowing things down?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't understand how to use Transcribe, its kinda dumb in my opinion.
Maybe you can change my view of the program by teaching me how to transpose into Bari sax

·
Registered
414 Posts
Easiest way: 1) Purchase transcribe. It's incredible for slowing down any recording. Added benefit is that you can play along with solos by slowing them down to get the articulation right, 2) Download real player downloader, 3) play the youtube video. the real player downloader will allow you to download any youtube video, 4) use the real player tool to convert the video into an mp3 audio, 5) open it with transcribe. transcribe allows you to save the slowed down version

1 - 19 of 19 Posts