Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great version of "Slowdown" . Checked and can't see that it's been posted before.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
That's a killer cut...Butterfield's harmonic playing was tops, and this shows him at his best. Thanks for sharing another great clip.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Just great!

The Butterfield Blues Band was our "local" blues band back in the late 60's, with Sanborn and Gene Dinwiddie on saxes and Phil Wilson on drums.
Just about any night of the week, they might be playing at the old Joyous Lake in Woodstock.
Brings back a lot of memories.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Joe,
I remember those nights in Woodstock as well. You never knew who would be there. Butter, Howard Johnson, Buzzy, Sanborn etc. Many, many Rhinestone based jams. On and on. And I thought I was growing up in the most boring town in the world.

Neil, Thanks for the link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Great track! Thanks Neil!

Man...classic example of the ancient war between the saxophone and the Mississippi sax though. Sanborn comes out as the white crayon in that one, methinks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
That Dave Sanborn iconic blues alto sound was something that I aspired to back in the day. I have lost my taste for it decades later wishing that it had some more fullness to it. I respect Sanborn's success and his Night Music show was so fantastic while it lasted. Many clips survive on youtube, thankfully.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Joe,
I remember those nights in Woodstock as well. You never knew who would be there. Butter, Howard Johnson, Buzzy, Sanborn etc. Many, many Rhinestone based jams. On and on.
Oh, yeah! I've got great memories of gigging with Harvey Brooks (Bitches Brew, ya'll) at The Lake, and remember a fun night when Howard came in on one of my quartet gigs at the Tinker Street cafe. He'd just come off the road with Paul Simon, I think, and he had his baritone and I had mine, too. Two baris and the rest of the band laid out for about 10 minutes!

Buzzy Feiten, Alan Hand, Colin Tilton, Kal David, John Platania, Emmylou Harris, Ellen McElwaine (wow! she could sing and play Melissa Etheridge under the table in a heartbeat; actually, as of a few years ago, still can- I gigged with her a minute on a reunion stopover in town) ..............

And everyone pretty drunk at Deanie's most nights, too!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was sure someone had posted a good video here of some band playing Slowdown, but I can't find it anymore.

It featured a singer who wore a dark sportcoat and a narrow-brim hat. From Jersey, I think he said.

Anyone know where this could be?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Frankly, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Niel Thanks for the post and Joe thanks for the stories Brought back some good memories for me.

Any idea of what year that happened.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
Great vid. I emailed the link to my bandmates. We do Slow Down, similar to the Beatles version. The original is by Larry Williams.

John Laughter's History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos doesn't say who the sax solo is on this recording, but the sax players on the sessions of Larry Williams' hits included Plas Johnson and Lee Allen. Sounds similar to other Plas solos of the time to me, but I could be wrong.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,771 Posts
Martin, you are correct. Plas Johnson is playing the solo. We did not include this song in the list since it did not make the Billboard Top 40. Always liked it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts