Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while cleaning the spit out of my brand new series II tenor, I peered down the body tube from the neck receiver and noticed a small crescent of material protruding into the bore right around where the body and bow meet, as if the bow and body where not quite aligned with each other. I don't notice any misalignment from the outside. It's too far down to see very well but I wonder if this is common or should I try to exchange the horn. It seems to play alright but for this kind of money it should not look like this, right?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking? I would get another brand new one. Talk to customer service, manager, owner and let them know you are not 100% satified. If you payed for A stock and received D stock, I would be pissed. Good luck :)

Rob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
That's not solder at the body and bow juncture. That's adhesive that is put on that joint. Pretty much all the modern Selmers these days have a ring or glob of glue protruding from where these two joints meet. The two areas are joined in this manner to keep them from leaking, but still keep them serviceable by being able to remove the body/bow ring and take the horn apart should dent work be needed and or should the bell take a knock and need realigning to better match the low B/Bb keys and keep them making a proper seal.

You can remove the low Eb key and Low D key to scrape the inside of this joint so it's clean and smooth on the inside. I've done this when going through and setting up all my new Selmers. I've not noticed this on my VI or VII tenors. I have noticed this on my Ref 36/Ref 54 tenors and Series II alto.

If the horn plays well I'd have a tech perform the above function, because just about any selmer is going to have a little glue visable prior to scraping at this region.

I actually had one of my techs solder the body/bow region on my Ref 36 as this makes it completely air tight. It's an option that works good for tenors, but altos don't normally need this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the useful responses!
Heath, do you scrape away the adhesive because it affects the sound? It can't be for aesthetics, right?
If it doesn't change the airflow i'd rather just leave it be. It's probably not B stock since your horns had this as well, and I bought it from a reputable place in Boston.
Just wanted to be sure I didn't get ripped-off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That sounds like a good ideal

heath said:
I actually had one of my techs solder the body/bow region on my Ref 36 as this makes it completely air tight. It's an option that works good for tenors, but altos don't normally need this.
I might have to have my tech do that for me on my alto.

Rob

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Flyguy said:
while cleaning the spit out of my brand new series II tenor, I peered down the body tube from the neck receiver and noticed a small crescent of material protruding into the bore right around where the body and bow meet, as if the bow and body where not quite aligned with each other. I don't notice any misalignment from the outside. It's too far down to see very well but I wonder if this is common or should I try to exchange the horn. It seems to play alright but for this kind of money it should not look like this, right?
Judging from the way so many saxes actually play BETTER with an object dropped into the bow, especially including wsome Mark VIs, that interruption may conceivably make the sax play BETTER.

When I reglue saxes here though, I don't take that risk, and clean off excess. That is a lot easier to do when it is HALF set.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
heath said:
That's not solder at the body and bow juncture. That's adhesive that is put on that joint. Pretty much all the modern Selmers these days have a ring or glob of glue protruding from where these two joints meet. The two areas are joined in this manner to keep them from leaking, but still keep them serviceable by being able to remove the body/bow ring and take the horn apart should dent work be needed and or should the bell take a knock and need realigning to better match the low B/Bb keys and keep them making a proper seal.

You can remove the low Eb key and Low D key to scrape the inside of this joint so it's clean and smooth on the inside. I've done this when going through and setting up all my new Selmers. I've not noticed this on my VI or VII tenors. I have noticed this on my Ref 36/Ref 54 tenors and Series II alto.

If the horn plays well I'd have a tech perform the above function, because just about any selmer is going to have a little glue visable prior to scraping at this region.

I have a Ref. 36 tenor also; does this procedure make a difference even if there's no (discernable) leaking there?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I doubt it makes any difference in the tone. But a smooth bore is a smooth bore and I can't see a need in having globs of glue on the inside.

Like I mentioned I had the Ref 36 body/bow soldered together to prevent leaks, but you don't have to do this either.

One of the things I'd look at is the neck tenon for leaks. I've got to think there are plenty of Selmer's that leak in that spot.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My tech agrees w/ Heath and likes to solder the body/bow connection. He hates the neoprene seal that is used. He likes the old system of desoldering to take bow off.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Does he think that seal system leaks?
Or is he just a solder fanatic?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts