Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem for about a month now with my right index finger. At first I was having pain in the middle joint (the one right above the knuckle that's one the palm of your hand). I stopped doing any fast playing and just concentrated on long tones, and that pain has stopped, but since then I've developed something strange in the same finger in the actual knuckle. Often, when I close my hand, I feel something kind of snap or slide across/over the knuckle towards the space in between my index finger knuckle and the knuckle on my middle finger. I can feel this directly in my hand and other people have also felt it if they touch the knuckle while I close my hand. It comes and goes but has been going on for a while. I'm planning on trying to get to a doctor soon, but I don't have a car (I'm in college) so it might be a little while until I can go. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what this could be? Tendonitus maybe? I haven't come across a description that sounds like this anywhere online... Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Sounds like trigger finger - inflammation and slight swelling of the tendon where it enters the tendon sheath causes the "snap". When I was working they nearly always responded to a local steroid injection, and seldom came back for a second go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It wasn't a random person (my girlfriend, actually). I thought I felt something snapping and noticed it myself, so I asked, "Hey, can you see if you feel anything moving around here?"

G

·
I knew an insane classical sax player. He is now at University of Michigan working under Don Sinta. but a couple years ago, he got tendonitis from practicing too much. He would practice hours on end. I am talking like 10 hours a day with little breaks and crazy stuff like that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually on the back part of my hand, over the actual knuckle, so I don't think it's trigger finger. I think it might be due to hand positioning, since the first joint (first meaning the joint connected to my palm, not the outermost joint) is positioned parallel to my palm and is not bent at all. I need to do this in order to reach the right hand keys, which are a slightly further stretch than the left hand keys. I'm not sure if this is right, but I have been told that hand problems develop often from playing with straight/stretched fingers. I might try fooling around with hand position or how I deal with the right thumb rest (or even taking it off) to make the hand positioning more convenient. I'm just posting this update in case anyone else has had similar problems and to get feedback about how people deal with the hand position for reaching the right hand keys (I guess my hands might be slightly smaller than usual? though they aren't tiny).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts