Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I tried some Vando reeds on bass clarinet, after having played Légères for years. I have to say cane reeds sound much better to my ears on bass, but I have a pretty strong (allergic) reaction to them. Within 30 minutes I develop a burning feeling, and small blisters on my lip and where the skin touches the reed. If I keep playing my lip will eventually split altogether. I've tried soaking, sanding and all kinds of other reed treatment on various brands. Nothing seems to work. Is there some component in cane that can cause this?

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm If I were to put something between the reed and my lip/skin, would I not sacrifice control, and wouldn't that make the reed vibrate differently? I have tried all kinds of cream and sprays, but all they did was grease the reed. None of them actually helped. I'll experiment with the thin band aid, as I haven't really tried that.
Does anyone know if reed manufacturers use pesticides? Maybe it's those that cause this?

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that. I tried their reeds a long time ago and thought they were nice. Time to try them again.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True. I guess the nail polish will reduce the cane's capacity for absorbing moisture. We'll see.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I took 4 reeds and applied different quantities of the stuff on different places. Letting it dry now. I'll report back when I've tested them.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Bandmommy, I'll see if I can get that Nu Skin here. Sounds good.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I did try the Plasticovers, but I really don't like their sound on BSCL. In fact the Légères I play sound better. Thanks though :)

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I tried all that. My reeds are smooth like glass. That's not the problem.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I use Légères on tenor and regular clarinet, and I'm very happy with them. But I really think cane reeds sound better on bass. Just a richer tone with more core to it. For some reason the plastics seem to flatten to tone of the bass clarinet. I have not tried those Forestone reeds, I understand they are a sort of hybrid. Anyone tried them? Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah we play in Perigeux next week, looking forward to that. It's been a while since I played in France.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for that info. I take it you've tried them?
Sadly they don't make a bass clarinet reed. I'll send them an email asking if they're planning to make one.

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, the nail polish thing does not work. On to the next idea!

·
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Why don't you use a plastic reed? There are numerous synthetics out.
Not sure why anyone would use varnishes and liquid bandaids...... or any other voodoo
Please read the first post of the thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts