Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
What a drag. I use synthetics on B.C. in doubling situations, but lately I've done more classical playing, and I also prefer the Vandoren reeds for that. You probably want to speak with your doctor and ask whether this might respond to treatment. If not, you may well have to go back to a synthetic. If that's the case, see if you can get a couple of whatever is available (and if you ask here on the forum, probably some folks would send you some of whatever we have lying around--I know I would), and just try stuff out. I've discovered that synthetic reeds lend themselves to weird combos...the best contra-alto reed I've found yet is a Legere bari sax reed. Wouldn't have figured that out if a friend hadn't given me a couple that didn't work for him.

Meanwhile, though, I've experimented with Plasticover reeds on BC, and I found they work well with a Vandy B46 I have. Maybe they'll work for you, too, but they ARE cane reeds, and if there's any chance your problem is made with with repeated exposure, you should probably check with your doctor before trying cane of any type.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that you can play your best on.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts