Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what effects, processors, or amps Skerik from Critters Buggin', Les Claypool's Frog Brigade, and Garage A Trois uses on his sax? I saw him play (and i actually got to meet him) with the Frog Brigade and it was amazing...

·
Registered
650 Posts
You saw him, met him, spoke with him, and didn't ask about his setup?
:roll::!: I also enjoy Skerik's playing, and wondered what he was using, but haven't had the opportunity to see him.

If you don't already own it, check out Stanton Moore's "all kooked out" with Skerik and Charlie Hunter. no effects, just great solid funkgroove, good compositions, and excellent performances. it's simply one of my favorite records.

They're playing in my area as Garage a Trois in a few weeks, I'll try to go and check out his setup.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Andrew Clark did a feature on him in SJ a while back that included some of his gear, and EV N/D468 mic is what I remember. a whole host of effects, I think he listed most of them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
thanks, billmecca, I'll look for the issue. and when I see him play on the 29th, I'll try to find out for myself, and report back here.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
No Problem, I'll check the issue myself tonight.

Just talked with AC, I didn't think to ask. if you subscribe, he is starting a new column for SJ, that will answer all kinds of gear questions.

Heck I have to renew my subscription, the renewal slipped thru the cracks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
thanks, that would be great. I checked SJ's list of back issues online, couldn't find any reference to Skerik. they list a few articles by AC dealing with stage gear & amplification, but I can't tell which it might be. in looking I found topics of interest, so I went ahead and subscribed while I was at it. I've balked in the past, it just seemed to be too classically-oriented, but it's evolving nicely, and it is the only sax-focused mag out there.

like some others on SOTW, I was following innovators like Kirk, Ayler, Sun Ra, Mingus, Harris, Heckstall-Smith, Beefheart, Zappa, Dolphy, anon, in the 60's probably before Skerik was born, so while I wouldn't say the man is breaking new ground, I like some of his work a lot. and although I prefer his effect-free saxwork, he seems to have successfully interfaced the horn with effects designed for guitar. I have numerous stompboxes from my time on guitar, and I'd like to add to my sonic toolbox by running sax through them. last time I did that successfully was decades ago using a neck-installed mic. basically, if Skerik's doing it using a bell mic, I'd like to know how he's solved the feedback problems.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
AC did a cover story feature on Skerik,

from what I remember Skerik said he has to use a dynamic mic because you get greater gain before feedback. Not sure if he is clipping it to the bell. I have a similar mic and used a Keen Clamp,. but its kind heavy, and then you can't work the proximity effect to your advantage.

I think I know where the issue is, its just a matter of finding time, why is a day only 24 hours? ;-)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Skerik's use of a dynamic mic makes some sense. and while I hope to someday find a Keen Clamp, it would probably be better to just use the mic on a stand. I think effects are best-used for effect, in other words sparingly, for moments or passages. you're anchored to them while using them anyway, so I could just walk up to a mic setup when I want to use 'em. I've considered the Barcus Berry on the reed or mpc, but I think I'll lose out on the sound created inside the horn. I don't expect a neck pickup to be much better, and I'd never modify the neck of a great sax. besides, I want a rig that will work with any of my horns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is th issue of S.J. that Skerik was in. It does list most of his equipment.

Vol. 27, No. 1 Sept/Oct 2002

He may not be too receptive when you ask him about his equipment though, he can be touchy at times...

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
here ya go

That's the issue. Selmer SA80II, Sugal, Oleg lig

EV N/DYM 468 mic
API 512C mic pre
API560 EQ
Sansamp distortion unit modified to have clean bypass channel
Lexicon LXP5 with analog controls
TC Helicon Volice Prism harmonizing machine

a sealed half stack cabinet based ona Marshall Stack with 4 12 inch speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
pre-Claypool

don't know if it talks about it in the article, but he used to be in Galactic, and has been known to come sit in with them from time to time. That is why Stanton Moore (still in Galactic) tapped Skerik for various side project tours.

Skerik (as is his spacey cohorts like Les Claypool and Buckethead) are odd fellows, to say the least!

On the Bonnarroo music festival DVD he comes out with Frog Brigade and his mic clip/setup appears to be something of a homemade custom deal (I thought i saw duct tape). He blows a lot of air so he would definitely need a high gain before feedback setup.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Keen clamp

Hello all,

Interesting thread. For those of you who are looking for Keen clamps, Doug Kuehn (the maker of the clamp) is my closest friend, a tremendous reapir tech in Minneapolis, and a helluva tenor player. He's got closets full of 'em, here's a phone # to the shop where he works. He's also designed a clip for the Sure SM 98 that's far better than the original. He'll get a kick out of hearing from you, and that his old clamp is still sought after. He gave me one of the first 20 years ago.

cheers, DC

Keen Clamp (Doug Kuehn)

phone # to Davenport Repair: 763 566 4560 (ask for repair...& Doug)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Keen Clamp

Hello again,

I've just spoken with Doug about his "Keen Clamp", he enjoyed hearing about anyone using them. He does not have a large pile of them anymore, but may be able to come up with a few. email Doug at:

[email protected]

cheers, DC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Skerik's Almamatuer

This is my one claim to fame, but Skerik's one of my favorite players. And, so, I'm talking to my band director and the jazz guitar player, and we're talking about who we like in pop music (allman brothers, bob marley, top, dmb, etc.), and I'm like "Yeah, and I really like this cat named Skerik." And my Band director goes (dave bentley, for those seattlelites)"Let me tell you something about Skerik. His real name is ---- ------ (I don't think he wants anybody to know). He went here. You should talk to Mr. Layer (the last band director) about him." I go "He went here?" and the orchestra teacher, who had been there forever goes "Yeah, He went here alright." In a really interesting tone of voice.

That's about it. Anyway, can you just mic a sax through a vocal mike into a keyboard amp and use stompboxes? I'm really clueless on this issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lexicon LXP5

billmecca.com said:
Lexicon LXP5 with analog controls
Is that a delay unit? I wonder if that's what he uses for the tape-loop-like effect throughout the "Amoeba" CD (the Critters Buggin disc I'm most familiar with).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts