Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out a vandoren v16 t75 today and completely loved it. Tone was almost exactly what I was looking for. Before I buy, I was just wondering to be safe whether there are any advantages of the other size options, particulary the t77, which I understand has a slightly larger tip opening and a longer facing. I felt that the t75 was the perfect tip opening for me, and because it is so close to the t77, what does the facing length do if it is longer?

Thanks!
Michael

(sorry if I seem naive about mpcs :? , I'm kinda new to it all :D)

EDIT: it's the metal V16, not the HR

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm no expert when it comes to mpc's (or anything else for that matter) but I do know that it is all personal preference, so if you felt that the t75 was the perfect tip opening for you stick with it. But I would recommend (as I'm sure most of the more experienced SOTW members would) to try them both and choose which ever one you prefer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have played, and still have, both the 75 and the 95. In terms of ease of playing I find very little difference. The longer table in the 95 offsets the wider tip opening. I tried a 77 but couldn't get it to play which I found very odd. The only reason I could come up with was that it was badly made, but that also seems odd as Vandorens are usually well made.

In terms of tone I found the 95 sounded somewhat thicker, a denser tone but one that didn't project as well for me. In the end I found the 75 too bright with too little depth and the 95 not bright enough. I was hoping the 77 would bridge the gap as it seems to do for others. The usual caveats apply of course, horn, embouchure etc. The V16 is a good mouthpiece, if you can try a 77 then I would but, otherwise, if you like the 75 go for it. There are quite a lot of other discussions about the merits of the V16 and especially the 77 so do a search.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I love these pieces and have tried several of them (a dozen of T75 and a couple of T95 and T77). The T77 felt also weired to me compared to the T75/T95 but I can't remember why. I'm now keeping a T75 as backup to my Lebayle.

However all are different within the same model range so I would recommend to try as many as you can.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,789 Posts
I was always under the impression that the 77 was more akin to a Link STM NY and the other models were more like regular Link STM pieces. I thought the 77 had a slightly larger chamber...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks for all of the responses. I ordered the T75 this morning from wwbw with the Optimum lig and it should be here in the next couple of days. Normally I think I would try out the other one if I was less sure, but after coming out of the store, the V16 was definitely my favorite, with a link STM 8 coming in second, and a Ponzol in third. The ease and response of the piece really did it for me (not to mention the tone: bright, yet warm enough to really be versatile). I'll share more findings after I actually get the piece.

~Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
I played on a v16 t75 for about 3 years before moving to a t77 which I've played on for about 2 years now. To my ears, the t77 has better response and tone in the lower register, while being a bit more squirrelly in the upper. I believe this is a common characteristic of a longer facing. The t77 also has a bit more edge on top of the basic t75 tone. I had started to mess around with wax baffles in my t75 as I wanted more edge and power for funk and fusion type music. The t75 was damaged in a drop, so I bought a t77 and since then I haven't had any urge to mess around with baffles. The t77 gives me all the edge I could ever want, but still lets me play relatively dry if I concentrate. If you like the mouth feel of the t75 there is hardly any difference at all with the t77. I use an optimum ligature which works perfectly. I will eventually get the t75 repaired/refaced with an eye towards slightly darkening its tone and then I'll be set with two almost identical mouthpieces which facilitate two different tonal concepts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts