Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm playing the sax for six months now, today I managed to get a nice clean high F for the first time. So I can now go from the low Bb up to high F an an alto.
Anyone got any idea if that is a reasonable time frame to achieve such a feat ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Was that palm F or front F, because front F is much harder. I have no idea how long it took me, but I have been playing 3 years now, and I can now do both, even on jumps, and still control volume and intonation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was that palm F or front F, because front F is much harder.
Good question. Palm keys, that's the way the ABRSM book I'm using shows, I'll have to look at the front F, no idea about that :)
In fact I can go from bottom to top and still have not used several keys at all yet.
I'm still a n00b :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Good question. Palm keys, that's the way the ABRSM book I'm using shows, I'll have to look at the front F, no idea about that :)
In fact I can go from bottom to top and still have not used several keys at all yet.
I'm still a n00b :)
Actually i find front F" easier than the palm keys, once you get use to the front F"..it opens up F# for me by playing the side Bb key gives me F#, thats with the front F!.
In response to your taking 6 months to get a clean F, from low Bb thats very good!,how is the quality though of either?,i find a lot of beginners can soon get these notes but the quality of sound takes a lot longer to develope!..like every thing in the saxophone, the practicing of long notes should be practiced daily to get a more better tone!.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depends how much you practiced :) I never really tried it but could play it after two months. I don't remeber it if it was clean or not but after 1 year i had my first song with a high F and i played it perfectly. Good job!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No doubt but that I have room to improve the tone.
And while we're on the subject! ... I assume that "longtones" are just playing a note continuously clean and steady ??
I only really started trying to hit the high notes as I'm just about 1/3 way through The Pink Panther and I was looking ahead ( with some fear!). It's way higher than any of the tunes I have done thus far, so is a good exercise.
Thanks all for your time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
6 months is pretty good, really...some teachers around here (pretty reputable ones) don't lead their students to go up there until almost a year....and as you said...it's not about the ability to just 'hit' the note, because any schlub can do that if they just focus on it. It's hitting it cleanly and sounding good.

Don't set a timetable to things....I understand having goals, but just progress as you please, with maybe the occasional push from your instructor or other musicians.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't set a timetable to things....
I hear ya! It's not a race. I was interested as I don't have a teacher and no real reference point, so it's nice to know if I'm roughly in the ballpark, which it seems I am. Good enough for me!
Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I've been playing sax since 1975 and I have a particular tenor sax that still requires alot of effort on my part to get a good tone out of the high F note. There's something wrong with that sax. No problems on any other ones. I too, started off self taught, eventually took a few lessons, and today I play in lots of bands. So, don't compare yourself with others, enjoy playing and practicing, and it may lead you to some very rewarding experiences. At the moment, I'm teaching myself the Irish tin whistle, learning the style and songs and enjoying it very much.
Sometimes a too soft reed may also determine how well those high notes may sound. What's your set-up?( mouthpiece, reed, etc. )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the moment, I'm teaching myself the Irish tin whistle, learning the style and songs and enjoying it very much.
Awesome! Amazing the sound you can get out of such a simple instrument, with a bit of work off course. Best of luck with that pursuit :)
Sometimes a too soft reed may also determine how well those high notes may sound. What's your set-up?( mouthpiece, reed, etc. )
My "set-up" such as it is : Jupiter 500 alto, Selmer SC80, and 2M Select Jazz reeds.
Sounds fine at the lower end, a tad shrill at the top but I'll not knock the gear till I eliminate myself from the list of suspect components !!

Cheers.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Hi all,
I'm playing the sax for six months now, today I managed to get a nice clean high F for the first time. So I can now go from the low Bb up to high F an an alto.
Anyone got any idea if that is a reasonable time frame to achieve such a feat ?
Who cares? Learning music is a journey, not a race. Rather than worry about how fast you're progressing compared to a "reasonable" beginner (I don't believe there is such a thing among adults--self-directed learners get different things at different speeds), find a new goal and get to work on it. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some babies walk earlier, some talk earlier it has little relevance to who will become the next astronaut or next president or nobel prize winner. I think you posted because you are proud of your achievement and that you enjoy the challenge of this great instrument. Keep up the good work, maintain the enthusiasm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's fantastic, hitting the high F isn't that easy depending on the condition of the sax and experience. I was fortunate with my first sax purchase: I just started my 2nd year of alto sax lessons. Rented the first alto from the music store, hard to hit the high F every time. Bought my first alto at Sam Ash a Jean Baptiste. Was able to hit every note the first time from low Bb to high F, so I know it was the sax for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's fantastic, hitting the high F isn't that easy depending on the condition of the sax and experience. I was fortunate with my first sax purchase: I just started my 2nd year of alto sax lessons. Rented the first alto from the music store, hard to hit the high F every time. Bought my first alto at Sam Ash a Jean Baptiste. Was able to hit every note the first time from low Bb to high F, so I know it was the sax for me.
Interesting! I guess a poor working sax would be hard to play particularly at each end.

So how do I get high F without the palm keys ?
The book I have makes reference to the 'High F plate' without actually showing what the high F plate is !
I have a Jupiter 500 alto, if anybody would take the time to tell me how play high F without the palm keys that would be great.
Thanks all for your time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is a small key above the B key (which you usually press with your index finger of your left hand) on my sax it is more of a lever that I can press with my first knuckle of my index finger while keeping my pad on the B key. It is usually called the Front-F key, and is the gateway to altissimo. It is not a stable note, it will be difficult to hit and sustain at first, overtone excercises will help with this. You key it by holding the octave key, that tiny key above the B and the C key, so your index finger is on the small key above the B, your second finger is on the C key, and your thumb is on the octave key.

It might be easier to try the front E first and then slur up to the F, same fingerings as front-f, but add the G-key as well (your ring finger).

If you haven't done any overtone excercises yet, start, these notes will be very difficult to hit, they are altissimo notes, so they need to be voiced correctly. Learning to do overtones will help your tone now and give you the abilities you will need to hit those notes consistently in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts