Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it stinks. However, I guess I'm used to being home on Saturdays and other gig days this year like most of you out there. And even if we wanted to go out, there's nowhere to go and nothing to do. I guess I'm realizing that NYE is not a big deal to me except for when I have a gig. It was always the biggest gig of the year, and it traditionally marked the date when you might leave a group and start with another one - you definitely want to hang and get the NYE money.
I expect there will be lots of gunfire around here at 12 and I hope they keep the muzzles down into the ground. Once I was in Atlanta on NYE (another year with no NYE gig) visiting my son there and we went down to the 'Underground' for dinner and drinks. I took the train back to the station where the car was parked so when they got there it would be right outside and warmed up (cold night). When I walked out of the station on a hill overlooking Atlanta, it sounded like a war down there. I literally ran to the car thinking bullets were going to be falling at any instant. I'm not afraid of guns and I have a few, but anytime stupidity is going on I don't want to be there!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On the ballistics of shooting up into the air; the bullet shot pretty much straight up will lose its velocity and begin to fall. However, it does not lose its spin because the air resistance to a smooth object spinning is nil. So, it remains a ballistic object and falls point-first. The maximum velocity by gravity at sea-level air density is about 200 mph, which especially on the heavier 'centerfire' bullets is sufficient to cause injury or even death with a head impact.
Bullets fired more to the horizontal, say about 45 degrees, can retain much more of their initial velocity and a pistol can fire a bullet over a mile.
Bottom line, you don't want to be out ion the open when this is going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts