Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If I've told this tale here before, please forgive... In 1980-something my girlfriend (now my wife) & I went out New Year's Eve to the Starry Plough in Oakland, California to dance to the gumbo-flavored rock&roll of Juke Joint Johnny & The Hot Links. After we'd been dancing long enough to get hot & sweaty, I suggested that we go make out in her VW bug, parked on the street about half-a-block away. She wanted to dance some more first, so we kept on dancing. When we finally went out to her car we discovered that the rear windshield glass had shattered into a thousand fragments, & we found a bullet (a .38-caliber, I think, but what do I know) lodged in the lower edge of the frame.

When we pried out the bullet & took it to the cops the next day, they were interested at first, then became evasive as soon as they saw it. It was a police bullet; evidently they'd had a shootout with somebody outside the club. Or maybe the cops were just firing guns for the hell of it. The band was so loud, nobody inside heard a thing. If we had been making out in the car, our weight would have lowered the windshield frame just enough for that bullet to have penetrated the glass & hit one of us. ('Coz in a VW bug there's not enough room to get horizontal.) Happy New Year!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts