Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it stinks. However, I guess I'm used to being home on Saturdays and other gig days this year like most of you out there. And even if we wanted to go out, there's nowhere to go and nothing to do. I guess I'm realizing that NYE is not a big deal to me except for when I have a gig. It was always the biggest gig of the year, and it traditionally marked the date when you might leave a group and start with another one - you definitely want to hang and get the NYE money.
I expect there will be lots of gunfire around here at 12 and I hope they keep the muzzles down into the ground. Once I was in Atlanta on NYE (another year with no NYE gig) visiting my son there and we went down to the 'Underground' for dinner and drinks. I took the train back to the station where the car was parked so when they got there it would be right outside and warmed up (cold night). When I walked out of the station on a hill overlooking Atlanta, it sounded like a war down there. I literally ran to the car thinking bullets were going to be falling at any instant. I'm not afraid of guns and I have a few, but anytime stupidity is going on I don't want to be there!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Home alone for me with SOTW trying unsuccessfully to date / identify an old King saxophone. I ain't much one for NYE so it was pretty typical for myself but I know many were feeling they'd been robbed of their usual gallivanting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,732 Posts
Not all bad. I am with family playing cards. Staying out of raining gunfire.
Happy New Years !

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,580 Posts
I've spent so many New Years Eve's home alone that it feels normal.
It's rather nice just sitting at home with a lap full of cats, watching TV, and drinking a non alcoholic beverage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,223 Posts
We spent the evening watching YT vids on our new (finally...) smart TV. Sanborn, Clapton, Carlton, Benson and many others. A lot of stuff from Montreux and Newport. I was impressed by the image and sound you get, despite it was coming from YT. Definitely a new (for us) channel for good music on TV.

·
Registered
432 Posts
LOTS of "fireworks" on the south side of Chicago. 2 people shot in the head from stray bullets. Listening, one can tell the difference between fireworks and gunfire.

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
485 Posts
LOTS of "fireworks" on the south side of Chicago. 2 people shot in the head from stray bullets. Listening, one can tell the difference between fireworks and gunfire.
I too am on the South side of Chicago. Nice to finally meet a member of the SOTW fam who is local. I am in the Ashburn neighborhood. Spent some time on NYE playing an imaginary gig with my favorite Covid rhythm section iReal pro. Also learned a couple new Bob Berg riffs thanks to Anytune pro. I figured although I can't play a NYE gig, I at least need to play regularly in the basement to keep my skill level up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,988 Posts
I dunno....it may not have been the 'usual' NYE. BUT...I think it wasn't supposed to be.

People can look at what they are lacking due to the pandemic...and they can take the opportunity to 'fill' their time with activities intended solely to 'pass the time' or 'get yourself thru' ...they can miss/lament not having the 'usual'. If you are set in that mindframe, you will be down, indeed.

(....BTW those comments were not directed at anybody...)

...or we could use this period as an opportunity to perhaps pause, reconsider, and reconnect with something deeper...we could consider that the utter disruption of the 'usual' has a positive, or a purpose....and we can perhaps search for or discover some meaning in both it, and our lives.

I think last night, and today....were particularly good opportunities to begin that, although any day would do, really.

Happy New Year, folks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I too am on the South side of Chicago. Nice to finally meet a member of the SOTW fam who is local. I am in the Ashburn neighborhood. Spent some time on NYE playing an imaginary gig with my favorite Covid rhythm section iReal pro. Also learned a couple new Bob Berg riffs thanks to Anytune pro. I figured although I can't play a NYE gig, I at least need to play regularly in the basement to keep my skill level up.
Wow! I lived on 80th and Washtenaw from 1970 till 1985. IReal pro is my band too....Guess they're cheating on me: :) :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,242 Posts
i prepared a prime rib (on sale!) and a few chicken lobsters (also on sale!) and drank enough beer and Bordeaux to have me happily asleep in my easy chair by the time the new year rolled in.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's been a long time since the days when I would go out on NYE just to party. But I do miss those well-paying gigs that I would get in a "normal" year, even as a weekend warrior. This year, nothing shaking but the leaves on the tree.

I didn't intend to even stay up till midnight last night, but I did. My wife was already asleep. On the TV, the usual New Year's shows were on, with shots of an empty Times Square in between performances of bad pop music. Outside, a few firecrackers went off. That was it. 2020 was done, finally. Yes, it was an awful year in so many ways, but there were still things to be thankful for. Like surviving!

I though JayeLID had the right attitude. Life is always going to be whatever we make it. 2021 isn't going to be a better year just because we flipped the calendar. It's up to us to make it better. Call me naive, but I still think it's possible. Like the man said: what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Happy new year to you all.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,675 Posts
I literally ran to the car thinking bullets were going to be falling at any instant. I'm not afraid of guns and I have a few, but anytime stupidity is going on I don't want to be there!
What always scares me a bit on NYE is driving home after the gig with drunks swerving all over the road, or getting tied up in a 4-hour traffic jam at 2 am due to an accident, which happened to me a few years ago driving home from a NYE gig in the Sacto Delta region.

Ironically, when playing a NYE gig and having to drive home at the worst possible time, I would stay completely sober, not even one drink, which was kind of difficult. But if I got pulled over or caught in a roadblock I wanted to be able to tell the officer that I was coming home from 'work' (the gig) and didn't drink that night. The statement "I only had one beer" will surely result in the response "step out of the car", followed by a sobriety test.

Luckily there aren't many gun nuts in my area shooting off rounds into the sky, but when it comes to drinking, it's still "amateur night."

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,513 Posts
Mrs. AddictedtoSax and I drank a bottle of Mumm's cuvee champagne with our turkey pie (leftover turkey from Christmas). Then we watched some reruns on TV, damned if we can remember what it was. We were in bed and asleep by 10. Yawn. Boring, I know.

But it's been many years since I gave a hot dam about NYE. It's just another day for me. I learned sometime in my early 20s that going out, getting drunk and doing stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do only gets you in trouble. With the wife. With the law. With people you care about.

/old man rant over

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Spent the night on the couch with wifey watching the movie Uncut Gems. Then watched the ball drop on Dick Clark's rockin NYE. A kiss and a toast to ring in the new year! It's got to be better, it's just gotta...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts