Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driving force for the last 5 years has been "How many notes does it take to make someone sit up and listen?...ONE" And for the life of me I can't find who said it. I believe it was one of the greats and was said during a conversation on tone where he speaks about matching our internal with the horn among other things. Can someone pease help me out here. :)

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
well, I searched wide and far by using many permutations of the words and concept , probably, @reedcusa_2241 you remember the phrase in a different way that was formulated.

However it made me think of a story.

In a mental institution specialized in Old Musicians , there are various people playing all day long , among all of them one old saxophoplayer is in a corner all day long playing one looooong tone.
It fills the air and the vibration shakes people but, cannot help, being slightly (understatement) for many.

So the Director decides to investigate, perhaps with the hope that something would change and he asks : 鈥 Maestro! Can I ask you why, when everyone else is playing pieces of music you stick to one not and one note alone?鈥 the old man looks at him above his round , dark sunglasses and smiles : 鈥 Well鈥 he says... :鈥 They are all trying to find the tone... whereas I, have found it already!"

Premium Member
well, I searched wide and far by using many permutations of the words and concept , probably, @reedcusa_2241 you remember the phrase in a different way that was formulated.

However it made me think of a story.

In a mental institution specialized in Old Musicians , there are various people playing all day long , among all of them one old saxophoplayer is in a corner all day long playing one looooong tone.
It fills the air and the vibration shakes people but, cannot help, being slightly (understatement) for many.

So the Director decides to investigate, perhaps with the hope that something would change and he asks : 鈥 Maestro! Can I ask you why, when everyone else is playing pieces of music you stick to one not and one note alone?鈥 the old man looks at him above his round , dark sunglasses and smiles : 鈥 Well鈥 he says... :鈥 They are all trying to find the tone... whereas I, have found it already!"
Appreciate the effort Man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts