Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sioma soprano saxophone bought from ebay that doesn't have Alex Burns on it - all other posts and info on the web suggest that they do. All I know is that it plays really well - a warm 'oboe' type / brassy sound ! I bought it on a bit of a whim but it's triggered a love for older horns. If anybody finds out more info on this make please do send it my way :) Thanks!

ps - im unsure whether it is silver plated - it's a kind of frosted finish, what does that suggest, any thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
sophiesax: Welcome to SOTW. I did an Internet search and found an eBay ended-auction with photos of a soprano with that brand on it. I've never heard of one of those. Maybe others here have known of that brand.

From the photos, it DOES look vintage alright . . . the keying to Eb3 and the design of the palm keys shows that. I wonder if it was a stencil made by Selmer with those in-line palm keys? Anyway, a frosted finish that reminds you of silver-plate is not unusual on old saxophones. I have Buescher TT soprano, alto, and C-Mel (the alto and C-Mel are older) from 1928 with matte-silver finishes. I don't think that suggests much. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,224 Posts
I've seen Sioma altos and tenors. It was a name used by Alex Burns. Usually they have 'Paris' on them indicating they are French built. Sops might be different. Other Sioma instruments (i,e, flutes) were made in Italy IIRC.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,224 Posts
Who's Alex Burns ? And why does he put his name on other people's horns ?

:dazed:

If you posted a photo, we could probably ascertain whether it's French or Italian based upon it's physical attributes....maybe...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
Sophie, like SO many new posters failed to tell us where she lived. The eBay auction was from Europe, as I recall. Oric Muso replied from the UK. I'm guessing this may be a UK/Europe thing. The horn in the eBay auction looked like an early 20th Century Selmer. DAVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for all your responses - I'll post a photo as soon as I can get hold of a camera.
FYI
I'm in the UK.
The sax says 'Sioma' and 'Paris' underneath
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts