Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a repair question but this forum seemed more fitting than the doubler's section as its related to more technical matters.
I've noticed most bass clarinets that have single register vent have one on the body of the instrument.
Recently I've acquired an old French instrument marked "La Bar", which is obviously a stencil. It resembles some pics of Lacroix instruments I've seen, but who knows.
Anyway the vent for the register mechanism on this bass is on the neck, just like you'd see for the upper vent on a double vent system.
I've found that for this instrument at least the clarion speaks fairly well, at least as good as the last double vent clarinet I had through here (which was a Kohlert Winnenden).
Does anyone know if other makers used the neck as the placement for a single vent system? Has anyone found there to be much of a difference between the vent locations as regards to the single vent system?
Really just curious, I like this current instrument enough that I'm keeping it around.
Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Interesting question. I have a King Margioux Eb bass clarinet that has the single vent on the body. I would be interested in hearing others' experiences as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts