Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What single screw ligature for the Sopranoplanet Missing Link mouthpiece (the edition with longer facing from the cork side, as on the first banner picture of Sopranoplanet starting webpage)?

Could anyone recommend a ligature that fits this mouthpiece well or perfect (I prefer single screw)? The ones I have or I tried out don't match, I've been using wider modified ligatures till now.

Thanks in advance for all proven in practice advices.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Soprano Planet Missing Link that I've used with the Vandoren M/O soprano ligature. Joe does sell a one screw ligature too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
It looks like a Brancher ligature, but contact Joe to be sure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
I contacted Joe, he was so kind and answered me quickly, he recommended the ligature presented on his website.
In fact, I was thinking about something that tightens the reed with plate from below, single "down" screw ligature, like in vintage Selmer, Otto Link and others.

·
32,962 Posts
Thanks.
I contacted Joe, he was so kind and answered me quickly, he recommended the ligature presented on his website.
Did he confirm that it is a Brancher lig?

In fact, I was thinking about something that tightens the reed with plate from below, single "down" screw ligature, like in vintage Selmer, Otto Link and others.
The Vandoren Optimum works well in my experience, but I prefer a Rico H lig on sop. Francois Louis “Ultimate” is the one that I use on tenor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did he confirm that it is a Brancher lig?
He just recommended and offered the one from his website. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him to confirm if this was Brancher or the same as Brancher's ligature.

The Vandoren Optimum works well in my experience ...
Thanks for this information, good to know, because I use Vandoren Optimum on alto with full satisfaction as my main alto ligature. When I will have opportunity, I will test it and maybe it will hit the spot.
Dr G, do you mean LC06P model (I didn't find more Optimum for soprano)?

·
32,962 Posts
He just recommended and offered the one from his website. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him to confirm if this was Brancher or the same as Brancher's ligature.

Thanks for this information, good to know, because I use Vandoren Optimum on alto with full satisfaction as my main alto ligature. When I will have opportunity, I will test it and maybe it will hit the spot.
Dr G, do you mean LC06P model (I didn't find more Optimum for soprano)?
I searched on “Vandoren Optimum ligature soprano sax” and see LC06P, so yes, that’s the one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The ZAC ligature works fine on the Missing Link. I wouldn't recommend it though (I still don't know what took me to spend so much money on that thing...)

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Thanks.
I have one of those vintage one screw Selmer “Link like” ligatures for soprano Very nice and hard to find. When I see them for tenor they go for $200 and up.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I think I recall Joe saying they were a Chinese knockoff of Brancher ligs that he had purchased in bulk on eBay. I still have one that came with an Open Sky II I got from him a few years ago. It works pretty good .... not my favorite but definitely better than some other more expensive ligs I have. I think you can still get the knockoff ligs on eBay for about $10.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
As much as I love my Missing Link, that knock off ligature is really crappy. It pulls one end of the Reed more then the other and it slips out of place when you grab the mouthpiece to adjust on the neck. Mine went straight into the garbage bin after a couple frustrating sessions with it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally tested and purchased the ligature Vandoren Optimum.
It fits Sopranoplanet Missing Link perfectly, can be adjusted easily and does not slip. The pressure can be conveniently adjusted, which affects free and full vibration of the reed. I have the impression that the reed "breathes" better.
It's a bit more convenient to use than my customized old one (vintage single screw vertical-below, nickel plated).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Did you find a good deal on the Optimum somewhere? How can they ask $75 for such a thing with a straight face?!

·
32,962 Posts
Did you find a good deal on the Optimum somewhere? How can they ask $75 for such a thing with a straight face?!
Oh, they are smilin' all the while. :twisted:

The good news is that if you find one good ligature that makes you happy, you don't have to buy any more.

Same with mouthpieces and horns - if you are truly happy with your setup, don't even look at another one. Say "Goodbye to GAS!"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I found an offer on ebay, second-hand, perfect as new condition, for just over half the price.
Of course, I agree that the price of new one (so the same with later used) is toooooo high.
However, I am happy so far, the ligature is easy to apply, regulate, do not "dull" the mouthpiece, and as I mentioned above - it does not slip.

Oh, they are smilin' all the while. :twisted:

The good news is that if you find one good ligature that makes you happy, you don't have to buy any more.

Same with mouthpieces and horns - if you are truly happy with your setup, don't even look at another one. Say "Goodbye to GAS!"
Yes, I agree, I think so too - overpriced products, they are smiling ...
Now this "GAS" state is already alien to me, I have a selected setup for both soprano, clarinet, tenor and alto (although I came to this after a few years). And I am very pleased. I bought a lot of second-hand.

·
32,962 Posts
Yes, I found an offer on ebay, second-hand, perfect as new condition, for just over half the price.
Of course, I agree that the price of new one (so the same with later used) is toooooo high.
However, I am happy so far, the ligature is easy to apply, regulate, do not "dull" the mouthpiece, and as I mentioned above - it does not slip.
Glad to hear that it’s working for you. I like ‘em.

Now this "GAS" state is already alien to me, I have a selected setup for both soprano, clarinet, tenor and alto (although I came to this after a few years). And I am very pleased.
That’s a great place to be, isn’t it? Enjoy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts