Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the oboe fingering is similar for both octaves and approximately like that of a saxophone, has anyone attempted to adapt it for a single reed play? Are there any acoustic properties of an oboe that makes this an impossibility?

·
Registered
159 Posts
From what I can tell, the answers are "yes" and "no" respectively. In fact I could have sworn that a single-reed oboe mouthpiece was on eBay just recently. But someone more knowledgeable than I could probably chime in with more precise information.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Baines says that a soprano sax mouthoiece goes well enough in a basoon, but I have never heard of a single reed mpc for an oboe. - i dont think you could get it to play in tune.

A cor however...?

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I'm not an oboe player. The fingerings are different enough to make them annoying to learn. More-so than a flute or clarinet in the mid range.

Single reed mouthpieces have been sold in the past. I have seen a metal one. They are very small and so are the reeds. The reeds are like 3/16" - 1/4" wide and need to be custom made.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the lead from Jack W. Sure enough, check out closed eBay item #2514398249. Manufactured by Ch. Chaderette of Paris. It looks much smaller than a charinet mouthpiece.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have single-reed mpcs for both oboe and bassoon.
Altho I'm a terrible double-reed player, I found that the timbre I got with these was much more pleasing to me - warmer,more human- than the official double reeds.
Of course, purists would consider that heretical.
My mpcs both came with 3 reeds each. This was from old stock that I bought around '80 or so. I have only used one for each mpc.
There is another type that does use the clarinet reed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts