Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For better or worse, tapatalk is back.

We can only hope that they won’t get access to member’s addresses as they did once before when they were banned.

READ this (follow the link please!)if you have never heard of it, it was the single most distressing thing that a forum ever did to me

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?223005-Unwanted-Tapatalk-alert

The facebook debacle has shown where these things can lead to.

But that is another thing altogether.

Since this thing is back I have seen a resurgence of posts signed

Sent with tapatalk with on my ( name of the phone follows).

This is fee and unnecessary advertising for program or system.

If I were to sign every post with “ Buy Cora Coca soft drink” I am sure that the community AND the ownership would object, but we don’t seem to find it objectionable if one sings telling us which phone or program he or she uses?

You can disable this message.

Please do.

It is a simple act of courtesy towards your fellow members and not doing so is like farting in an elevator and say” Sorry, it had to come out”.

It doesn’t. (these suggestion and videos may be old but please figure it out on your phone or other device, THANKS!)

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/howto-disable-tapatalk-sig.2218964/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,068 Posts
Please Educate me...is there a real reason i even want to use tap?

To me those kinds of things just add anither layer of crap. However not having really explored it i admit i could be wrong.

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never felt the need to use it.

Despite the fact that tapatalk SEEMS to make the forum access from a mobile device (phone or tablet) much easier, I don’t need to do this “ on the go”.

I can comfortably sit down in front of my desktop computer and write on a proper keyboard.

For some reasons that I don’t understand many others favor mobile access. I own a smartphone and a tablet but have no desire to do things on the go.

·
Registered
826 Posts
For me, Tapatalk is a MUCH easier way to use any forum. Definitely worth it.

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if that is so it is so, but disabling the annoying message is an act of simple courtesy

·
Registered
826 Posts
A lot of folks don’t even realise the signature is there (or that there’s an option to turn it off) and so I can see the point you’re making.

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, it is very annoying and completely useless.

Who cares (if not Samsung or Apple) what kind of device you use or program to access the forum?

Written while comfortably sitting in front of my apple computer with Safari... :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,974 Posts
Thank you, it is very annoying and completely useless.

Who cares (if not Samsung or Apple) what kind of device you use or program to access the forum?

Written while comfortably sitting in front of my apple computer with Safari... :)
I'm not sure I get why those words at the end of a post are so annoying to you. When I see those all I think is "The person writing is on their phone". I find this useful because if their post is short or not written the best I can see that it is probably because they are on their phone and on the move probably.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
I modified my "tag line" on my iPhone to say:

Sent from my slide rule.

I still have one from my college days (1957+)

·
4,670 Posts
Of all the things on this site to complain about... this seems... extremely trivial. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
For some reasons that I don’t understand many others favor mobile access.
I feel your pain over people's use of the mobile phone to respond to forums and personal letters, but there may be an upside to it: shorter forum responses and shorter letters.

That's also the downside. People don't write as they once did. At one time my brother and I exchanged actual letters. Now, what I get in response to a well thought-out and well-composed email is, "That's nice. Tks"

Then there's the possible extinction of the epistolary novel. POSSIBLE, though not probable.

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the simple request for the courteous deletion of the tapatalk message advertising phone or tablet brand and program ( of sole commercial significance ) has nothing to do with using or not tapatalk to access the forum.

Anyone can disable the advertising signature. It takes little effort and time and we no longer will know your phone brand.

Actually you may even change it into something funny or publish the horns and mouthpieces of your choice if you really must sign with anything, the signature (as shown in the video above ) is editable!

you know they say that asking politely is licit and answering to a request is courtesy. Courtesy is not compulsory though. I can only politely ask, as I did.

I am sure that if anyone would tell us the brand of coffee that he drinks, or the car he drives each times they post people would object.

Sent while wearing Jeans from brand so and so and wearing cologne brand so and so drinking cola so and so.

That would be ridiculous and unwanted advertising, right?

I am not opposed to your personal posting habits, just annoyed from being told what brand and model of phone or tablet that you have because it is not interesting to me or makes any sense in a saxophone conversation.

That’s it. Nothing more.

All I asked is a minor act to please make the forum more enjoyable to me and others and with no problems to you, you will still use your device, you will still use tapatalk.

Besides... do they give you anything for that free advertising? Would that take anything away from you if you disable the message?

No on both accounts.

Your pleasure would not be infringed or diminished.

I am not the only person on the internet asking for this simple courtesy act which has nothing to do with your freedom to use a phone or tablet.

I have used correct and courteous language in doing so. Others are not so courteous to tapatalk users.

Just a few web pages randomly chosen (read please if you think I am alone in this,I am not).

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?10650-Turn-off-Tapatalk-signatures

https://forums.theblockheads.net/t/how-to-edit-or-disable-the-tapatalk-signature/7308

http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/2006380-tapatalk-signatures.html

https://mycotopia.net/topic/99063-tapatalk-users-please-disable-your-default-signature/

·
4,316 Posts
I didn’t read much of this and don’t care to. Today I used mobile site off my iPhone for first time. So much crap on the screen I couldn’t enjoy the reason I joined SOTW. And yes my settings and all pop up blockers are on. When things become aggravating I leave and don’t come back. Just like a bad restaurant.
Milandro’s asked nice, show some respect for a simple request.
Parker Jobber, 1 blue 1 red

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, much appreciated.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Interestingly, I’ve visited SOTW a lot more over the past couple of days since I found out that Tapatalk is supported again. Most of my forum viewing is done on my phone in between various work projects and I hated the SOTW mobile view so much that I rarely visited using my phone. I reckon I’ll be on here a lot more regularly now.

Thanks to admin for implementing Tapatalk again!

To my fellow Tapatalk users: I think Milandro has a point re. turning off the Tapatalk sig.

·
39,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, madcow, I am happy, for you, that you can use your program if that is what you want (and hopefully they won’t hijack the addresses of the members again as they did several years ago when Harri Banned them because of this).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts