Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2009-2016
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a tenor metal mpc,but with a similar baffle this HR mpc I have.Do you know guys any brand,model or a mpc refacer maybe..?Thanks a lot.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
That appears to be one strange job been done on that mouthpiece. Do you mean you just want a metal mouthpiece with a bullet shaped baffle, or exactly the same shape? maybe a Berg larsen, but the bullet is not quite the same.

Do you mind me asking why you want a metal mouthpiece with a similar baffle, and not a HR mouthpiece with the same baffle?

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,I'd like a metal mpc with a similar baffle,not bullet.Thanks.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pm sent Mr Pete Thomas.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have two HR mpcs with this baffle,I'm curious to play a metal version,it's just.By the way,it's going to mpc's refacer to make a metal copy.Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
I have two HR mpcs with this baffle,I'm curious to play a metal version,it's just.By the way,it's going to mpc's refacer to make a metal copy.Thanks.
I'm still curious as to why (surely you have a reason?). If it were possible to design a metal version with all the exact same dimensions as that HR one (not sure it is possible, though), it would sound and play exactly the same. Maybe it would feel different though. Is that what you're after?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,945 Posts
Really? That tip looks 'orrid.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Doctor G,I agree with you,the tip is awful,because it's going to mpc refacer.I like the sound this mpc,it has a dark sound and fat with a lot of projection,volume,when pushed,the sound comes with bright, totaly easy to play,but it has a few imperfections,as you saw,I think it's worth be worked.If you want,before I send it to be worked,I can send you (or another sotwer) this mpc,then you could get your opinion about it,sure,if you be interested.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well JL, I am always looking for jazz/rock mpcs,powerful mpcs.There are mpcs of a same manufacturer what the HR and metal models have the same blaffle, same chamber,it’s sure, don’t have the same sound,for exemplo mpcs C.Lakey,B. Larsen,Lawton,Dukoff(D,M models),etc..
Sometimes I prefer HR,other I prefer metal mpcs of same manufacturers.I’ve ever had experiences with a few these mpcs, so my preferences are:
-C.Lakey and Dukoffs(Vibracom) mpcs I prefer HR models to Metal models.

-Lawton I LOVE both models (I can talk about mpcs made by Jason Lawton)

-B. Larsen I prefer Metal Models to HR models.

Following that idea, I’d like to know how could be a metal model this my mpc.Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Well JL, I am always looking for jazz/rock mpcs,powerful mpcs.There are mpcs of a same manufacturer what the HR and metal models have the same blaffle, same chamber,it’s sure, don’t have the same sound.
If they don't have the same sound, it's not because one is metal and the other is HR. It would be something different in the design. One thing I know for sure, the power, volume, projection of a mpc is not dependent on it being made out of metal. By far the most powerful tenor mpcs I own are HR. But again, it's NOT because they are HR. It's the design.

I only mention this because a lot of players share the misconception they need a metal mpc to get a big/powerful sound. Nothing could be further from the truth.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Aren't the rails a bit thick?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts