Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Buescher Silvertone alto sax. It is in very good shape, with the original case that is alos in very good shape. what is this sax worth and what exactly is a silvertone? It has 46019 stamped on it. Is that the serial number?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Going by my memory, Silvertone was a brand name used by Sears 50 years and more ago. They sold musical instruments in their catalogue. Some of the clarinets were made by R. Malerne Paris, and, judging from your post, they sold saxes made by Buescher. The monetary value wouldn't be much now, but they did sell some high quality student instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
My guess is that it was, as I said, a high-quality student sax, probably significantly better than most current student saxes. It may be a very good player, but it's not a valuable vintage find (assuming I'm right about the Sears connection).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Yes they were catalogue instruments made by the lowest bidder but the buescher built horns were a very nice student quality horn of the time which equally to a quality built horn of today
Value-wise around $200-300 in v/good playing condition ,
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
here we are talking about two different horns. One of them - cheap Buescher stencil Silvertone, good student horn and another one professional model built by Kohlert or one of the Keilwerth factories. Very well pro built horn with rolled tone holes, built the same quality way like Conn 10M, Buescher Big B or even french SML, Buffet, Selmer. I played few of them, great key action and great tone...!!! Undervaluated and unknown pro horn !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
oshawya said:
I am looking at a Buescher Silvertone alto sax. It is in very good shape, with the original case that is alos in very good shape. what is this sax worth and what exactly is a silvertone? It has 46019 stamped on it. Is that the serial number?
Are those the only numbers on the back? Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little Sax said:
Are those the only numbers on the back? Do you have any pictures?
No, the horn was not mine...just one I was looking at. I allready bought a different one from Bruce Bailey...Great buy and Great horn!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts